ANKARA (News Desk) – Turkish law enforcement agencies in Ankara and Istanbul said that around 3,000 soldiers including some Generals and dozens of colonels have been arrested and around 2,700 judges were dismissed from service after the Friday night’s failed coup attempt.
According to media reports, at least 200 people were killed while over 1,000 seriously wounded in coup-related events. Some buildings including the parliament house were completely destroyed.
Latest developments suggested that about 150 pro-coup soldiers who were holding out at the headquarters of the General Staff and the nearby compound in central Ankara have also surrendered to the pro-Erdogan forces.
Meanwhile, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has demanded extradition of the US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen for his involvement in the coup plot.
Responding to Erdogan’s call, US State Secretary John Kerry said that Gulen will be extradited to Turkey if a considerable evidence would be produced against him, according to media reports.
On the other hand, to settle the matters related to the possible capital punishment of all the pro-coup forces, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has called all legislators for an emergency meeting.
Yildirim described the night as “a black mark on Turkish democracy” and said the perpetrators “will receive every punishment they deserve.”
Earlier on Saturday morning, in an address to the nation after the failed coup, President Erdogan said a conspiracy was hatched against the country and the democracy. He said it was a conspiracy against unity and solidarity of the country.
He described the attempted coup as high treason and said the ring-leader, who plotted all this, will have to pay the price in front of the nation. “The coup was attempted by forces being instructed from Pennsylvania,” he said while pointing the finger at Fethullah Gulen.