World

KABUL – As many as 90 people were killed while over 300 were left injured when a massive blast went off in the heart of Kabul’s diplomatic district on Wednesday, according to Afghan health ministry.


Article continues after the advertisement

The blast was so severe that it smashed windows of nearby buildings,  sending clouds of black smoke spiralling over the Afghan capital.

Najib Danish, an interior ministry spokesperson, said initial findings showed it had been a truck bomb.

India’s envoy to Afghanistan, Manpreet Vohra told Indian television channel the bomb went off around 100 metres from India’s embassy, one of several in the area.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility but the targeted area, diplomatic quarter suggests that the Taliban could be behind all this who had launched their spring offensive named ‘Operation Mansouri’.