TORONTO – Canada will offer residency to anyone travelling to the U.S. from the listed countries who end up stranded in Canada after President Trump’s orders temporarily barred people from seven Muslim-majority countries, a senior official said on Sunday.
Ahmed Hussen, immigration Minister while talking to newsmen said he did not know how many people might be eligible but said only a handful of passengers headed to the United States from Canada had been denied boarding.
Trump’s decision on Friday, which also affects refugees, left many people uncertain about their future and entry to US.
“Let me assure those who may be stranded in Canada that I will use my authority as minister to provide them with temporary residency if they need it,” Hussen said.
He clarified that Canadian citizens and permanent residents from the countries targeted by the U.S. travel ban would still be able to cross the border.
Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government kept away from slamming the Trump led United States apparently due to financial benefits as 75 percent of Canadian exports go to US.
“Every country has the right to determine their policies,” added Hussen.
The confusion erupted from an executive order signed by U.S. President Donald Trump, which said that people from Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Yemen and Libya would be barred entry to the U.S. for three months.
It was initially unknown whether Canadians who are also citizens of the affected countries would be allowed to cross the U.S. border, as the State Department said that dual citizens were also included in the ban. Canada received no prior warning that the ban was to be imposed.