PM Abbasi consults Nawaz Sharif on new cabinet members
Abbasi, who took oath of his office a day earlier, went to Murree where former chief executive Nawaz Sharif and Punjab chief minister Shehbaz Sharif welcomed him.
At the start of the meeting, Nawaz Sharif exchanged pleasantries with Abbasi who thanked the party leader and his predecessor for his support.
Abbasi's huddle with Nawaz Sharif was pivotal as the former would pick legislators to be appointed ministers in the new cabinet. These members would take the oath of their office tomorrow at President House.
Interestingly, former interior minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan was also present during today's meeting however, Nisar clarified that he would not be a part of the new cabinet under Abbasi's chair.
The ruling Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz is currently facing numerous hurdles as the Supreme Court of Pakistan disqualified its head Nawaz Sharif on Friday who was into the fifth year of his third-term premiership.
Not only that, the top court also ordered filing reference against Nawaz's close confidante and former finance minister Ishaq Dar and his son-in-law Captain (r) Safdar.
Following the decision, Abbasi was nominated to lead the country as stop-gap prime minister for around 45 days so that Nawaz Sharif's younger brother Shehbaz Sharif-currently serving as chief minister Punjab- could win elections for NA-120 and replace Abbasi.
The Election Commission of Pakistan has announced the schedule for elections in NA-120, a seat vacated by Nawaz Sharif after his ouster.
According to ECP, by-elections in the constituency would be held on September 17. The nomination papers may be submitted between August 10 and 12.
The scrutiny of the papers will be held between August 15 and 17, while the final list of candidates will be issued on August 26.
Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf has already announced fielding Yasmin Rashid for by- elections, however, PML-N has yet to obtain nomination papers, though it formally announced pitching Shehbaz Sharif.
However, rumours are rife that Abbasi might serve until the end of the current tenure of the party and Shehbaz Sharif might continue his term in Punjab, a suggestion given by his close fellow Rana Sana Ullah as well.
- 'Imported govt' trying to spread fear throught arrests, Imran tells ...11:59 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- In a first, Pakistan adopts fastest growing sport Futsal11:24 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- PM Shehbaz renews his offer of a charter of economy11:01 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- #PehchaanKaRung a soul stirring DVC Starring renowned thespian ...10:42 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- At least three killed, five injured in North Waziristan IED blast10:24 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Dananeer reveals Kubra Khan is recovering from surgery08:30 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Hareem Shah hints at breakup in latest video09:29 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Muneeb Butt finally comments on sister-in-law Minal Khan's Instagram ...09:59 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022