Nawaz Sharif files supplementary plea in Al Azizia reference seeking early hearing
The petition was submitted to the high court by Nawaz Sharif’s counsel Khwaja Haris. The petition maintained that former premier’s basic human rights are being violated, hence a hearing on the appeal should be fixed at the earliest date possible.
The petition stated that a two-member IHC bench has heard the plea and clubbed petitions seeking suspension of Nawaz’s sentence with the appeal against his conviction in the reference.
Meanwhile, the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has filed appeals on the accountability court's verdict in Flagship and Al Azizia references. The anti-graft body has maintained that it presented solid proofs against Nawaz Sharif on his financial malpractices in the Flagship reference, hence releasing him on the pretext of the benefit of the doubt would be contrary to the law.
In its second appeal, NAB has requested the court to extend Nawaz's seven-year sentence in the Al-Azizia case. It is pertinent to mention here that an accountability court on December 24 had found the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz leader guilty in the Al Azizia Steel Mills reference and sentenced him to seven years jail.
- Trump’s Mideast plan: Pakistan wants Jerusalem as capital of ...07:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Female polio vaccinator killed in Swabi firing incident06:32 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan rejects Indian PM Modi's war-mongering remarks06:10 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Malaysia in talks with Pakistan to import security guards04:39 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Of the Sellers of Gender Stereotypes04:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Priyanka Chopra in final talks to join The Matrix 403:19 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Humayun Saeed thanks fans for showering love on MPTH's team02:49 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Shah Rukh Khan's Pakistani cousin passes away in Peshawar02:15 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019