Palm Sunday: At least 44 killed, over 100 injured in Egypt church blasts
The second, carried out just a few hours later by a suicide bomber in Alexandria, hit the historic seat of the Coptic Pope, killing 17, including three police officers, and injuring 35, the ministry added.
The explosion occurred as Coptic Christians were celebrating Palm Sunday, one of the holiest days in the Christian calendar, marking the triumphal entry of Jesus Christ into Jerusalem.
Militants accuse Copts of supporting the military overthrow of former president Mohamed Morsi in 2013, which ushered in a deadly crackdown on his supporters.
In December last year, 25 people died when a bomb exploded at the Coptic cathedral in Cairo during a service.
And in February, militants from the Islamic State group warned of more attacks against Copts, who make up about 10% of Egypt's population.
- Honda increases car prices by up to Rs126,00006:51 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- U19 World Cup – Papua New Guinea win toss, opt to bat first against ...06:10 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- ‘Beti Patao’ – Indian PM Modi’s latest gaffe sparks meme fest ...05:50 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Usman Mukhtar opens up about his equation with Naimal Khawar05:25 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- 'Main Chala’ - Salman Khan shares the teaser of his latest music ...04:33 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021