Palm Sunday: At least 44 killed, over 100 injured in Egypt church blasts
The second, carried out just a few hours later by a suicide bomber in Alexandria, hit the historic seat of the Coptic Pope, killing 17, including three police officers, and injuring 35, the ministry added.
The explosion occurred as Coptic Christians were celebrating Palm Sunday, one of the holiest days in the Christian calendar, marking the triumphal entry of Jesus Christ into Jerusalem.
Militants accuse Copts of supporting the military overthrow of former president Mohamed Morsi in 2013, which ushered in a deadly crackdown on his supporters.
In December last year, 25 people died when a bomb exploded at the Coptic cathedral in Cairo during a service.
And in February, militants from the Islamic State group warned of more attacks against Copts, who make up about 10% of Egypt's population.
- Coronavirus claims 8 more lives in Pakistan, infects 377 in a day09:28 AM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:08 AM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 02 December 202108:39 AM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan proclaims new law to protect rights of journalists10:57 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Lt Gen Sarfraz Ali formally installed as Colonel Commandant of Azad ...09:07 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Aijaz Aslam's father passes away07:04 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Sarah Khan and Falak Shabir's new romantic video goes viral05:23 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Syra Yousuf spills the beans about co-parenting and divorce06:29 PM | 1 Dec, 2021