LHC orders to release Gullu Butt
LAHORE - The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Thursday ordered to release Gullu Butt , the notorious character of Model Town incident.
Counsel for Butt argued before the court that the police registered a case under terrorism laws against his client under political pressure, adding that the trial court sentenced Gullu without proper evidence.
Following the charges of terrorism and vandalising cars and public property, an anti-terrorism court had awarded 11 years and three months of jail to Gullu Butt .
The notorious character had been found in TV footage damaging the vehicles of people in the presence of police during a clash between workers of Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) and police.
At least 14 persons were killed and over 100 injured during the anti-encroachment operation outside the Dr Qadri residence on June 17, 2014.
Earlier, an anti-terrorism court rejecting the plea of PAT had refused to try Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and eleven others, including some federal and provincial ministers, for killing of Pakistan Awami Tehreek workers during the 2014 Model Town incident.
The court, however, summoned IGP Mushtaq Ahmad Sukhera, former Lahore DCO Muhammad Usman and 123 others to face the trial.
- Protests against Modi govt spread across India against discriminatory ...11:55 AM | 14 Dec, 2019
- PIC’s emergency ward reopened, while OPD, indoor services remain ...11:09 AM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan urges all Muslim countries devise joint strategy to stop ...10:39 AM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Rihanna documentary sold to Amazon for $25 Million05:07 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Thank you so much for 3 million followers: Imran Abbas04:53 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019