‘Yūnhī pehlū meiñ’ an Evening with Farida Khanum and Ali Sethi at LUMS
Prof. Tanweer began with a few lines on what great art does for us. This was followed by a screening of a black and white video of Ms. Khanum, which was taken from a 1974 TV programme by Zia Mohyeddin. The video shows him ushering in his guest, a young girl clad in a Sāṛī, with immaculate hair and makeup. She is timid and not too confident, and laughs at all of the hosts, Mr. Mohyeddin’s jokes. They have a conversation about ‘ghazal’ as an art form and how it has been depreciating in quality, followed by a performance by Ms. Khanum. She begins to sing in the video and her voice mesmerised the audience. As Ms. Khanum was brought on stage in a wheelchair by a few members of her family as well as her former student, Ali Sethi, the audience gave her a standing ovation.
Ms. Khanum spoke about music and her passion and how music trends have changed over the years. “In this day and age, the music scene has changed. In our days, people would take out time and listen to ghazals with great joy, they had a passion for it. We learnt to value poetry and ghazals; we cared for it and still do.”
“At times I would be driven by an urge to sing something before someone else could. The lyrics were so inspiring that I wanted to be the first to sing them!” she recalled. She explained how she began with Raag Darbārī because she already knew it, and that the sur of ghazal were soft, that they were easy to remember by heart. Mr. Sethi added that much of his learning has been from Ms. Khanum herself. “A listener said this to me once that when Farida Jī sings, time and space become blurred, it’s the closest you come to a spiritual experience,” shared Mr. Sethi.
Ms. Khanum was then asked to sing a few words. Also present on stage were Ustad Habib ur Rehman sahib on harmonium along with Khan sahib on tablā. Both guests spoke about Faiz, and the ways in which these ghazals have not only moved many, but also at times provided a peak into history. The audience had the honour of experiencing live, Ms. Khanum’s famous hits, ‘Uzr Ānē meiñ bẖī, aur bulātay bhī nahī’, as well as the legendary ‘Muhabbat Karnē Wālay’. A few words of this song were also performed by Mr. Sethi, leaving the audience awestruck. The evening was concluded with questions and comments by members of the audience, and finally, a few words by Mr. Tanweer himself, who rightly said, “Such a transformative experience will perhaps never come to us again, and for this we are grateful.”
The Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) is a world-class academic institution with a proud history of achievement and ambitious plans for the future. Since its inception in 1985, LUMS has strived to achieve the aim of imparting world class education while encouraging research and intellectual growth in the country. The University has five schools, namely, SulemanDawood School of Business, Mushtaq Ahmad Gurmani School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering, Shaikh Ahmad Hassan School of Law and School of Education. LUMS has played a key role in setting high standards of academics and producing professionals who can compete with counterparts from any university across the world.
- Amazon Prime Day 2020 is happening on October 1309:09 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- HSY, Feroze Khan discuss initiatives to combat harassment on Live ...08:18 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Northern’s Haider Ali trends on Twitter after blasting batting in ...06:42 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Public holiday announced on Friday in Sindh06:11 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Indian national held for crossing into Pakistan illegally, booked ...05:55 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Super well made: Anoushey Ashraf can’t stop praising ...04:35 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- The fault is not in our laws, our mindset needs to change: Mehwish ...02:59 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Rhea Chakraborty 'an active member of a drug syndicate:' NCB02:26 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020