LEAD arranges moot on Punjab’s climate, growth policies and strategies
The event titled, 'Towards 2047: Policy Dialogue on Punjab’s Climate and Growth Policies & Strategies’, aimed to sensitise key stakeholders, including policy-makers and opinion leaders, to deliberate on a set of salient questions that are critical for the growth, development and well-being of the fast growing but vulnerable population of Punjab.
Various policy experts including Mr. Ali Tauqeer Sheikh, CEO, LEAD Pakistan and Director Asia, Climate & Development Knowledge Network (CDKN); Dr. Kaiser Bengali, Advisor, Government of Balochistan; and Tahia Noon, MPA Punjab, shared their views on how climate change threatens Punjab and what adaptation and mitigation options can help to address these issues effectively.
Mr. Basharat Saeed, Coordinator Climate Change Programme, LEAD-Pakistan, highlighted the drivers of climate vulnerability in Punjab and emphasized the important role of vulnerability assessments in targeting service delivery and directing development interventions.
Addressing the meeting, Ali Tauqeer Sheikh said poverty and climate vulnerability are intrinsically linked, and this reality makes it imperative to develop a pro-poor climate compatible development strategy for Punjab. This event is on step in the development of such a strategy.
Dr. Qaiser Bangali said the event featured two back-to-back round table discussions where experts talked about climate vulnerability of Punjab and proposed solutions to deal with it.
Dr. Khalid Mohtidullah said, ‘You can’t value what you can’t measure’, underscoring the need for research and data on availability, productivity and utilization of water in Pakistan.
Dr. Nasir Javed, CEO, Urban Unit, reminded the audience of the need to admit to our mistakes as the first step towards finding sustainable solutions.
The policy dialogue helped policy-makers develop a greater understanding of the need for climate compatible development in Punjab.
A lively debate took place as various experts involved in the planning and implementation of national and provincial development polices participated and gave their recommendations on how to make Punjab resilient to climate change.
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-April-14-Updated ...09:55 AM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan reports highest daily coronavirus deaths in ten months09:19 AM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 14 April 202108:48 AM | 14 Apr, 2021
- PAKvSA – Pakistan take on South Africa in 3rd T20I today08:00 AM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Alisha Gory explains how tattoos are a form of expressing your ...08:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Mohammad Amir celebrates 29th birthday04:50 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Zainab Abbas becomes first Pakistani female presenter to join Sky ...04:02 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021
- Ten New IPO Billionaires in 202107:59 PM | 8 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021 – Tips for busy professionals01:52 PM | 7 Apr, 2021