Special courts to be formed for protection of transgender community, says CJP Nisar
The top judge was hearing a suo motu case pertaining to non-issuance of computerised national identity cards (CNICs) at apex court's Lahore registry.
The issues of the community cannot be resolved until court protection is provided to these people, he said, adding that injustice with transgender people will not be tolerated.
To tackle the issue of CNIC, the apex court formed a committee and summoned suggestions in this regard. The chief justice said that the apex court will monitor all measures.
He remarked that the transgender people should be issued CNIC’s through the one-window procedure, adding that those who do not have CNICs should be given the right to vote.
The committee presented suggestion before the court on the same day, saying the transgenders should be issued CNINs within 7 days for free of cost. It added that 40 sub-committees have been constituted at provincial and district level to implement the court decision.
CJP Nisar, during the hearing, remarked that workshops should be arranged to highlight the problems faced by the community.
The chief justice on Sunday took suo motu notice of non-issuance of computerized national identity cards (CNIC)the to transgender community.
The top judge had taken notice following the complaints made by the community during his visit to Fountain House, a non-government institute of mental health, on Saturday.
He has ordered Punjab chief secretary and other concerned members of the provincial administration to appear before the court on Monday.
- Teenage girl killed in Indian unprovoked ceasefire violations along ...04:01 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- PM Imran expresses pain and grief over loss of lives in Beirut ...03:36 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- If offered, I would love to work in Pakistan: Engin Altan Düzyatan01:53 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- Saba Qamar, Bilal Ashraf & others grieve over the tragic explosions ...01:10 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020