Supreme Court restores taxes on mobile phone top-ups
ISLAMABAD - Reversing another decision of former chief justice Mian Saqib Nisar, the Supreme Court on Wednesday restored all taxes charged by cellular service companies on mobile phone recharge.
A short order was pronounced by Chief Justice Asif Saeed Khosa who remarked that the top court would not interfere in the matters of public revenue and tax collection; a three-member bench had earlier reserved the verdict.
The apex court also withdrew the stay order placed on the collection of mobile phone taxes and wrapped up the suo motu case; the chief justice recalled that the matter was brought into the notice of the bench through the Human Rights Cell of the top court.
During the hearing today, Justice Qazi Faez Isa questioned whether there was a precedent of using Article 184(3) of the Constitution in cases related to tax enforcement.
Meanwhile, Justice Ijaz-ul-Ahsan remarked that the collection of taxes from non-filers was a violation of fundamental human rights.
Former chief justice Mian Saqib Nisar had taken a suo motu notice on May 3, 2018 about the matter. The former top judge suspended the deduction of sales tax by cellular service providers in June.
Mian Saqib Nisar - who is currently busy in raising funds for the Mohmand and Diamer-Bhasha dams - exercised suo moto authority under Article 184 (3) which empowers the apex court to pass any order to enforce fundamental rights, however, his decisions are being reversed now.
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Balochistan doctors allowed to carry out private practice in ...05:23 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- LNG for Pakistan: Islamabad to host int'l conference on 31st05:01 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019