Judge hearing Sharifs' graft cases will be given extension, SC assured
A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, also summoned the law secretary to explain what the ministry concerned is doing about the extension, which has been requested by Islamabad High Court (IHC) Chief Justice Anwar Kasi.
Later, the law secretary appeared before the court and informed that the judge will be given extension before the end of his tenure. Judge Mohammad Bashir's tenure was to end on March 12.
He said that the Ministry of Law has approved the summary, which now has been sent to Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi for approval.
Muhammad Bashir was hearing the National Accountability Court (NAB) corruption references against former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, his children - Maryam, Hasan and Hussain Nawaz - and son-in-law Captain (retd) Safdar regarding Al-Azizia Steel Mills, Avenfield properties, Flagship Investment and other offshore companies.
The judge was also hearing a corruption reference against former finance minister Ishaq Dar regarding assets beyond means.
Judge Bashir was appointed to the court in 2012. In 2015, the federal government, on recommendations of the IHC, extended his tenure for three years.
- Pakistan asks UN to probe India’s state-sponsored spying operation ...06:29 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Sindh reimposes restrictions from Monday amid spike in Covid cases05:38 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Pakistani stars demand #JusticeForNoor02:42 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021