Amir Liaquat indicted in contempt case
During the hearing of the case, the renowned media personality - who is now a lawmaker - tendered an unconditional apology before the apex court, however, justice Aijazul Ahsan remarked that the time for the apology had already lapsed.
Though Liaquat pleaded not guilty to the charge, the apex court indicted him under Article 204(3) of the constitution.
'Amir Liaquat's violation of cour orders comes under the ambit of contempt of court,' remarked the court.
سپریم کورٹ کے ۲ رکنی بینچ نے فرد جرم عائد کردی— Aamir Liaquat Husain (@AamirLiaquat) November 7, 2018
عامر لیاقت نے صحت جرم سے انکار کردیا
فرد جرم ثابت کرنے کے لیے اب عدالت میں مقدمہ چلے گا
میں عدالت کا احترام کرتا ہوں اور معذرت خواہ ہوں، عامر لیاقت
آپ کی معافی پر بات کریں گے لیکن آج کا دن فرد جرم عائد کرنے کا تھا
I have also apologised before and I leave myself at the mercy of the court, Liaquat pleaded during the hearing.
Multiple petitioners including anchorperson Shahzeb Khanzada, Mir Ibrahim-ur-Rehman and Najam Aziz Sethi, had accused Hussain of violating the court orders issued on March 28, 2017 directing him not to use derogatory language for individuals.
On August 8, the SC slapped a Rs20,000 fine on Liaquat for failing to appear before the apex court. Hearing the case, the Justice Nisar asked Liaquat’s counsel why an arrest warrant should not be issued for the televangelist for not appearing in the court.
He was issued a show cause notice in August and the apex court had earlier rejected his apology, though he has been formally indicted today.
- Haider Ali hospitalised after viral illness10:32 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- PM Shehbaz felicitates Chinese leadership on National Day10:00 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Pakistani UN peacekeeper martyred in Central Africa09:46 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Iran’s key intelligence official killed in clashes with protesters09:06 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Bollywood actress Rani Mukerji set to release her autobiography04:48 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Tajikistan singer Abdu Rozik is the first contestant of Bigg Boss 1607:08 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Teaser revealed for Wasim Akram, Fawad Khan-starrer 'Money Back ...08:48 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022