PM Nawaz stresses need for awareness about natural calamities
In his message to the nation on National Disaster Awareness Day observed nationwide annually on October 8 in commemoration of disastrous earthquake hitting most of Pakistan in 2005, the prime minister said he was sure that Pakistan could be made a disaster resilient through better
awareness and sound preparedness.
“Disaster Risk Reduction is one of our top most priorities, which reflects our resolve to fight disasters. We are a resilient nation and I commend the people of Pakistan for their humanitarian spirit, demonstrated in the times of past disasters,” he remarked.
He said the nation observed the day in memory of those who lost their lives in the past disasters that had hit the country.
He said the incumbent government notified October 08, as Disaster Awareness Day in 2015 to create awareness about deadly impacts of natural disasters and to educate the people on how to mitigate disasters, especially in the perspective of climate change.
The prime minister said it was important to note that disaster management required a whole nation approach. Participation of every citizen is indispensable for a comprehensive and effective response in case of any calamity, he added.
Premier Sharif said for this purpose, the government had ensured resourcing of NDMA and gone a step further by establishing National Fund for Disaster Management with the assistance of Asian Development Bank.
He reiterated that the government also stood committed to finalize and implement National Flood Protection Plan IV with the consensus of provinces to mitigate the effects of floods in future.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:33 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Pakistan records lowest daily Covid cases in over a year09:18 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 19 October 202108:48 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- 12 Rabiul Awwal: Pakistanis celebrate Eid Milad-un-Nabi today08:13 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup: Curtis Campher shines as Ireland beat Netherlands11:45 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Atif Aslam pays tribute to late Farhad Humayun with iconic song06:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic in search of Pakistani NGOs05:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra goes scuba diving in Spain (VIDEO)05:25 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021