Nawaz Sharif, Maryam to be arrested on arrival at Lahore airport: minister
LAHORE - The security agencies have decided to seal Allama Iqbal International Airport on ex-prime minister Nawaz Sharif and his daughter Maryam Nawaz’s arrival.
Maryam last evening shared her flight details to return to Pakistan with media persons. She said she will reach Lahore airport on Friday at 6:15 pm by Ittihad Airways’ flight EY-243.
Nawaz Sharif’s mother, Apee Jee, is insistent and has conveyed to family that she will go to Lahore airport to receive Nawaz Sharif— Rameeza Majid Nizami (@RameezaNizami) July 9, 2018
“میں نواز کو گرفتار نہیں ہونے دوں گی۔ اگر گرفتار کیا تو میں بھی ساتھ جاؤں گی۔”
She is 85
“Let me make it clear that the law enforcement agencies will arrest Nawaz and Maryam on the airport to implement the court’s order,” he said.
The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has also announced that it will arrest the father and the daughter on their arrival in Lahore on Friday.
“On the announcement of the Sharif family that Nawaz and Maryam are arriving in Lahore on Friday at 6.15 pm we have written to the Punjab government to coordinate with NAB for their arrest at the airport,” a NAB official said.
He said the NAB would not allow Sharif to lead a rally. “We will make sure that Sharif and Maryam do not leave the airport and arrested there,” he said.
The accountability court Islamabad on Friday last handed down 10 and 7 years rigorous imprisonment to Sharif and Maryam respectively in the Avenfield properties corruption case filed by the NAB.
Maryam was given 7 years imprisonment for abetment after she was found “instrumental in concealment of the properties of her father” and one year for non-cooperation with NAB.
Sharif’s son-in-law Capt (retd) M Safdar who has been given one-year jail term for not cooperating with NAB, and aiding and abetting Sharif and Maryam has been arrested and sent to Adiala Jail, Rawalpindi.
Meanwhile, PML-N spokesperson Marriyum Aurenzeb said Sharif and Maryam will arrive in Lahore on Friday via Abu Dhabi on a foreign airline. “PML-N workers from across the country will gather in Lahore to welcome their leaders,” she said.
Sharif along with Maryam had gone to London last month to see his ailing wife Begum Kulsoom Nawaz. She is suffering from lymphoma (throat cancer). She has been on a ventilator since June 14 after suffering a cardiac arrest in London.
Sharif said Kulsoom may regain consciousness before he leaves for Lahore on Friday.
- Pakistan Navy ships MOAWIN, ASLAT visit Port Victoria11:25 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Over 5,000 prisoners suffering from HIV/AIDS, fatal diseases in ...10:27 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019