Nawaz Sharif, Maryam to be arrested on arrival at Lahore airport: minister
LAHORE - The security agencies have decided to seal Allama Iqbal International Airport on ex-prime minister Nawaz Sharif and his daughter Maryam Nawaz’s arrival.
Maryam last evening shared her flight details to return to Pakistan with media persons. She said she will reach Lahore airport on Friday at 6:15 pm by Ittihad Airways’ flight EY-243.
Nawaz Sharif’s mother, Apee Jee, is insistent and has conveyed to family that she will go to Lahore airport to receive Nawaz Sharif— Rameeza Majid Nizami (@RameezaNizami) July 9, 2018
“میں نواز کو گرفتار نہیں ہونے دوں گی۔ اگر گرفتار کیا تو میں بھی ساتھ جاؤں گی۔”
She is 85
“Let me make it clear that the law enforcement agencies will arrest Nawaz and Maryam on the airport to implement the court’s order,” he said.
The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has also announced that it will arrest the father and the daughter on their arrival in Lahore on Friday.
“On the announcement of the Sharif family that Nawaz and Maryam are arriving in Lahore on Friday at 6.15 pm we have written to the Punjab government to coordinate with NAB for their arrest at the airport,” a NAB official said.
He said the NAB would not allow Sharif to lead a rally. “We will make sure that Sharif and Maryam do not leave the airport and arrested there,” he said.
The accountability court Islamabad on Friday last handed down 10 and 7 years rigorous imprisonment to Sharif and Maryam respectively in the Avenfield properties corruption case filed by the NAB.
Maryam was given 7 years imprisonment for abetment after she was found “instrumental in concealment of the properties of her father” and one year for non-cooperation with NAB.
Sharif’s son-in-law Capt (retd) M Safdar who has been given one-year jail term for not cooperating with NAB, and aiding and abetting Sharif and Maryam has been arrested and sent to Adiala Jail, Rawalpindi.
Meanwhile, PML-N spokesperson Marriyum Aurenzeb said Sharif and Maryam will arrive in Lahore on Friday via Abu Dhabi on a foreign airline. “PML-N workers from across the country will gather in Lahore to welcome their leaders,” she said.
Sharif along with Maryam had gone to London last month to see his ailing wife Begum Kulsoom Nawaz. She is suffering from lymphoma (throat cancer). She has been on a ventilator since June 14 after suffering a cardiac arrest in London.
Sharif said Kulsoom may regain consciousness before he leaves for Lahore on Friday.
- COAS Bajwa interacts with senior serving, retired military officers ...12:32 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- World Bank announces new Country Director for Pakistan11:51 AM | 4 Aug, 2020
- New York’s Times Square lights up in solidarity for Kashmiri people11:19 AM | 4 Aug, 2020
- India imposes curfew in Srinagar ahead of clampdown anniversary10:32 AM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Hundreds flee after mass prison break in Afghanistan09:48 AM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Nothing Like Everything: Ayyan Ali announces first-ever music album04:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Filmmakers around the world take to part in Iran’s Resistance Film ...10:27 AM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi, Naimal Khawar Khan blessed with a baby boy12:37 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020