SC issues notice to PM Imran in Zulfi Bukhari's disqualification case
ISLAMABAD - The supreme court on Monday issued notices to Prime Minister Imran Khan in a petition seeking disqualification of Zulfikar Bukhari, special assistant to PM on overseas Pakistanis and human resource development, on the basis of dual nationality.
A bench headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar also issued the notices to Bukhari and Secretary of Cabinet Division after it accepted the petition filed by Muhammad Ali Chattah and Mirza Abul Moiz Baig against the special assistant.
During the hearing, the top judge asked what portfolio has been assigned to the PM's close aide, to which, the counsel for Bukhari said that his client is a special assistant to the prime minister.
The chief justice asked Bukhari's lawyer: "Tell me if an ordinary citizen can become a minister despite having dual nationality?"
The hearing of the case is fixed for Nov 16.
On September 17, Khan had appointed Bukhari as his special assistant, inviting criticism from the opposition due to his dual nationality.
Earlier, their petition was rejected by the Registrar office citing objections. The petitioners later challenged the objections and the chief justice admitted their plea for hearing.
- How much does Ahmed Shah earn from Fahad Mustafa’s Jeeto Pakistan?08:41 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Zara Abid presumed dead, not amongst the survivors of PIA plane crash05:13 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Netflix announces Élite season 4 with returning cast members04:07 PM | 23 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020