Facebook has destroyed our culture, SC remarks in girl blackmailing case
Justice Ameer Hani Muslim, who was heading the two-member bench heard the plea.
Shagufta Amin, the applicant, had accused Muhammad Munir of blackmailing her on Facebook. However, during the hearing, the defense lawyer Masroor Shah told the apex court that Munir had made Facebook account on the girl's consent. He added that Shagufta used to study with his client and his ‘girlfriend'. "Both are in a relationship", he argued.
Referring to the defense lawyer’s explanation, Justice Muslim said that relationships in which friends are referred to as ‘girlfriends’ find roots in western culture. It is not Pakistan’s culture where opposite genders could have such relations, he remarked.
The justice also thrashed billion dollar social media enterprise Facebook in his remarks. The judge said that Facebook has destroyed our culture. Justice Ameer remarked, how could uploading immoral pictures amount to morality.
After hearing arguments from both sides, the apex court ordered the authorities to forward the case to trail court for a verdict in six months. The defense lawyer was asked to produce the challan for the accused within 14 days of the hearing.
- This Asian country is set to reopen mosques after 9-month ...10:40 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Biden picks two Kashmiri-American women for top positions at White ...10:13 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Another Gomal University professor dismissed over sexual harassment09:59 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- China to launch its first solar probe in 202209:42 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Ex-judge to head Pakistan probe into Broadsheet case09:21 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Bollywood remembers Sushant Singh Rajput on birth anniversary05:21 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Wedding festivities kick in for Bakhtawar-Mahmood as groom lands in ...04:36 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Netflix crosses 200 million subscribers06:39 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021