Sadiq Egerton College student stabs teacher to death for organizing ‘welcome party’
BAHAWALPUR - A student stabbed his teacher to death on Wednesday merely for organising a welcome party which he believed was un-Islamic.
Bahawalpur’s upscale Sadiq Egerton College had organised a welcome party for newly enrolled students, however, the move was disparaged by a student who got into a heated argument with his teacher, Khalid Hameed.
The student identified as Khateeb Hussain lost his temper amid discussion with the teacher and contended that the gathering was against the Islamic teachings.
In a fit of rage, Khateeb, a 5th-semester BS student enrolled in the English department, stabbed the teacher several times following which he was rushed to Bahawal Victoria Hospital.
The teacher, head of the English department, received knife injuries to the head and stomach, breathed his last afterwards.
Police arrested the student and detailed that the event, which Hameed was overseeing, was to be held on March 21 to welcome new students to the college.
In a video confession of the suspect, Khateeb Hussain says that he attacked the English professor because he allegedly "spoke against Islam".
In response to a question, he replied that he assaulted the teacher with a knife in the office where he was sitting.
Unfortunately, the suspect expressed no remorse over his action as after learning that the educationist had died, the suspect expressed satisfaction with his actions.
When he is questioned as to why he did not use a lawful way to lodge his complaints against the academic, he responded that the country's laws were "freeing the blasphemers".
Although a complaint was lodged by the deceased professor's son for the registration of a First Information Report (FIR), police said a case will be formally registered after the postmortem examination.
In a press release, the Punjab Professors and Lecturers Association strongly condemned Hameed's murder and demanded that the district administration bring the perpetrators of the crime to book under anti-terrorism laws within 10 days.
Meanwhile, Pakistan Muslim league Nawaz President, Shehbaz Sharif also condemned the incident.
پروفیسرخالدحمید کےسفاکانہ قتل پراظہارافسوس کے لئے میرے پاس الفاظ نہیں ہیں۔محض اختلاف کی بنیاد پر طالبعلم کے ہاتھوں ایک استاد کا قتل پوری قوم کے لئے لمحہ فکریہ ہے۔ہمیں ایک لمحے کے لئے سوچنا چاہئے کہ ہم میں سے ہر ایک انتہا پسند رویوں کا راستہ روکنے کے لئے کیا کردار ادا کر سکتا ہے pic.twitter.com/B5ZpHDeJRc— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) March 20, 2019
'I am out of words to express my sorrow over the brutal murder of Professor Khalid Hameed,' the politician stated on Twitter.
- Japan extends grant assistance worth 318m JPY to Pakistan09:15 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- PM Imran welcomes UNSC members for again taking up IIOJ&K dispute08:35 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Shan Masood, Muhammad Abbas uplift Pakistan in first England Test12:59 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Indian TV actor Sameer Sharma dies by suicide03:26 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- Angelina Jolie wants reconciliation between Brad Pitt and kids02:57 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- I had an inferiority complex and grew up applying fairness creams: ...01:31 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020