Former PU VC Mujahid Kamran, five others sent to jail on judicial remand
Earlier, National Accountability Bureau (NAB) officials produced Mujahid Kamran, Dr Auranzeb, Kamran Abid, Dr Liaqat Ali, Dr Ras Saud and Amin Athar before Accountability Court Judge Syed Najam ul Hassan on expiry of their physical remand.
The NAB prosecutor submitted that investigations had been completed and physical remand was not required any longer. He pleaded with the court to send the accused to jail on judicial remand.
However, the defence lawyer opposed the judicial remand plea saying that all allegations levelled against the accused were baseless. He requested the court to discharge the accused.
The court after hearing the arguments reserved its decision for some time and later, sent the accused to jail on judicial remand while accepting the NAB plea.The court directed for production of the accused on expiry of the remand term, Nov 5.
Dr Mujahid Kamran is accused of illegal recruitment in the university and for giving away scholarships to students who were not eligible.
In addition to this, he is also accused of being involved for the unlawful appointment of his wife Shazia Qureshi as the principal of Punjab University Law College. Dr Mujahid remained the PU vice-chancellor from January 2008 to December 2016.
- PAKVSNZ: Six Pakistani cricket players test coronavirus positive11:41 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Bilawal Bhutto Zardari tests positive for coronavirus10:01 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 26 November 202009:34 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Live open market Foreign Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - ...09:27 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- PDM may postpone rallies if PM Imran telephones Nawaz, Zardari12:11 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Fashion Pakistan Week postponed over Covid-19 fears07:19 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Rabab Hashim ties the knot (See Mehndi & Maiyon Pics)05:08 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Alamgir gets a new kidney after 13 years of waiting (VIDEO)05:00 PM | 25 Nov, 2020