FM Khawaja Asif under NAB's radar over allegations of money laundering
According to a communique issued by the accountability watchdog on Wednesday, NAB chief Justice (r) Javed Iqbal has ordered investigations into the allegations of money laundering, hurled against the central Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz leader.
"NAB seeks Khawaja Asif's version regarding the allegations after which final decision would be made for further proceedings " stated the communique.
It bears mentioning that Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Usman Dar had requested the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to initiate a probe into financial misappropriation by Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif, back in January.
The request was made after the party's core group's meeting declared Asif a "security risk" and tasked Usman Dar with filing a corruption complaint against the senior Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz leader.
In its letter addressed to the NAB chairman, the PTI leader alleged that Asif was part of the 'gang' involved in the coverup of money laundering and financial misappropriation by former premier Nawaz Sharif.
The letter stated that Usman Dar possessed irrefutable evidence against Asif, which includes foreign bank account details showing transactions worth millions.
"Asif used assets abroad for money laundering," the letter alleged.
Moreover, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan said last month that he was ready to submit details pertaining to Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif's involvement in money laundering and corruption.
Money laundering: Imran Khan slates NAB for ... 01:17 PM | 28 Feb, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan on Wednesday criticised the country’s anti-graft ...
"We have brought undeniable proofs against Asif on the record. The National Accountability Bureau's silence despite proofs of money laundering and corruption against Asif is inexplicable." asserted the lawmaker.
"We hope NAB will soon take up legal proceedings against Asif," he said, adding that the accountability of those looting the taxpayers' money was necessary.
The cricketer-turned-politician instructed Dar, and a delegation of the party, to meet NAB Chairman Justice (retd) Javed Iqbal.
- Britain rejects Nawaz Sharif's request for visa extension08:23 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Russia and neighbours begin military drills on Afghanistan border07:58 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- PM Imran, CJP Gulzar take notice of mob attack on Hindu temple in RYK06:29 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Looking to upgrade your device on a budget? TECNO’s Spark 7 series ...05:01 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Kinza Hashmi opens up about dealing with relentless trolling04:18 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Alizeh Shah and Ali Rehman Khan to star in upcoming drama03:20 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Barbie debuts dolls in honour of real-life pandemic heroes02:50 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021