FM Khawaja Asif under NAB's radar over allegations of money laundering
ISLAMABAD - The National Accountability Bureau has initiated a preliminary inquiry into the allegations of money laundering against Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif.
According to a communique issued by the accountability watchdog on Wednesday, NAB chief Justice (r) Javed Iqbal has ordered investigations into the allegations of money laundering, hurled against the central Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz leader.
"NAB seeks Khawaja Asif's version regarding the allegations after which final decision would be made for further proceedings " stated the communique.
It bears mentioning that Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Usman Dar had requested the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to initiate a probe into financial misappropriation by Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif, back in January.
The request was made after the party's core group's meeting declared Asif a "security risk" and tasked Usman Dar with filing a corruption complaint against the senior Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz leader.
In its letter addressed to the NAB chairman, the PTI leader alleged that Asif was part of the 'gang' involved in the coverup of money laundering and financial misappropriation by former premier Nawaz Sharif.
The letter stated that Usman Dar possessed irrefutable evidence against Asif, which includes foreign bank account details showing transactions worth millions.
"Asif used assets abroad for money laundering," the letter alleged.
Moreover, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan said last month that he was ready to submit details pertaining to Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif's involvement in money laundering and corruption.
Money laundering: Imran Khan slates NAB for ... 01:17 PM | 28 Feb, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan on Wednesday criticised the country’s anti-graft ...
"We have brought undeniable proofs against Asif on the record. The National Accountability Bureau's silence despite proofs of money laundering and corruption against Asif is inexplicable." asserted the lawmaker.
"We hope NAB will soon take up legal proceedings against Asif," he said, adding that the accountability of those looting the taxpayers' money was necessary.
The cricketer-turned-politician instructed Dar, and a delegation of the party, to meet NAB Chairman Justice (retd) Javed Iqbal.
- India bans Muslim gatherings but allows Hindu pilgrimage in occupied ...11:45 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 233,000 cases of coronavirus – 4,819 confirmed ...11:21 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Money laundering case – Shehbaz Sharif seeks exemption from ...11:15 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- China, India hold talks on border standoff11:05 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Umar Akmal’s appeal to be heard on July 13: PCB10:53 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Elton John honoured with his own commemorative coin from Uk's Royal ...04:46 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- TikTok star Zulqarnain Sikandar all set to make his acting debut with ...02:45 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Saroj Khan's family lived in Pakistan before the partition02:16 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020