ECP asks PML-N to appoint new party head
ISLAMABAD - The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Tuesday directed the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) to appoint a new party head following the disqualification of Nawaz Sharif by the Supreme Court.
The ECP issued a notice today stating that a disqualified legislator cannot hold any position in a political party under the Political Parties Order 2002.
It refers to Article 15 of PML-N's own constitution, which says that the seat of president will be filled within one week if it falls vacant.
The ECP asked the party to inform the body after electing a new party leader.
It is worth noting that the Supreme Court had disqualified the former prime minister for concealing his job with Capital FZE while announcing judgement of Panama Papers case.
The ECP's notice comes a day before when Nawaz Sharif is set to leave for Lahore via GT Road along with a rally to garner support for the party.
- In a historic first, people with mental illness allowed to open a ...07:58 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin ‘to run for Senate’07:15 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 – Peshawar Zalmi take on Quetta Gladiators tonight06:41 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Saudi Arabia cancels Hajj for international pilgrims over COVID-19 ...06:11 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Waseem Abbas reflects on Mahira Khan-Firdous Jamal controversy04:44 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Shah Rukh Khan gets back to work for 'Pathan' shooting04:20 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021