Oil prices down in Asia as Greece and China weigh
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate for August delivery dropped 14 cents to $52.19 a barrel and Brent tumbled 13 cents to $56.72, both reversing an earlier uptick.
"The global picture for commodities does not bode well," said Bernard Aw, market strategist at IG Markets in Singapore.
Commodities such as oil were taking a beating "with the Greece situation getting from bad to worse" and the stocks plunge in China stoking fears across Asian markets, he said.
Shanghai stocks plunged nearly seven percent on Wednesday morning as additional government moves failed to staunch a more than three-week sell-off that has seen in plunge by about a third.
Hong Kong equities sank 4.74 percent and market-watchers warned of contagion.
"China's stock market rout is now spreading to other financial markets, creating a sweeping sense of panic and liquidity crunch," said Zheng Ge, an analyst at Wanda Futures Co.
The crises are putting pressure on oil prices at a time when the global crude market is already oversupplied, analysts said. China is the world's second biggest economy and its top energy consumer.
European leaders gave debt-stricken Greece a final deadline of Sunday to reach a new bailout deal and avoid crashing out of the euro, after Greek voters rejected international creditors' plans in a weekend referendum.
Rising US crude production and a possible return of Iranian oil to global markets -- should western powers and Tehran reach a deal on its nuclear programme -- are widely expected to amplify the global supply glut.
- Top military leadership vows to thwart entire spectrum of threats in ...09:01 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Quddus Bizenjo to be elected Balochistan CM unopposed as PTI’s Rind ...08:28 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Lulusar Polo in Pink 2021: Guard Group qualify for main final07:59 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- PU discontinues Master’s degree programme07:34 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran summons National Security Committee meeting amid protests07:17 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Katrina Kaif denies rumoured wedding to Vicky Kaushal05:45 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Imran Ashraf and Sadia Khan's latest BTS video goes viral05:00 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Momina Mustehsan leaves everyone awestruck with her melodious voice05:20 PM | 28 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021