NAB fails to arrest fugitive Captain Safdar after Avenfield verdict
ISLAMABAD - Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s son-in-law, Captain (r) Safdar has gone underground after the anti-graft buster obtained the arrest warrant against him following the verdict in the Avenfield case.
Safdar is reportedly in the wind from Saturday night, while the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has formed three teams which have been deployed in Haripur, Abbottabad, and Mansehra to detain the convict. But, the officials have still no clue about the whereabouts of Safdar.
On Friday, an accountability court sentenced the son-in-law of the former premier to one year in jail for cheating while announcing the verdict in a corruption reference pertaining to Sharif family’s Avenfield apartment in London, UK.
Judge Muhammad Bashir also handed a 10-year sentence and £8 million (Rs1.29 billion) to Nawaz Sharif. He also sentenced Sharif’s daughter, Maryam Nawaz, to seven years in jail for forgery and making assets through illegal sources in the landmark decision. She has been ordered to pay a fine of £2 million (Rs320 million).
Moreover, the judge ordered to seal the property in question, suggesting the government to do legislation to bring plundered money back to the country.
Following the verdict, the NAB has also obtained arrest warrants of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and his daughter Maryam. NAB sources revealed that the former premier and his daughter will be arrested upon arrival to Pakistan from London.
NAB tightens noose around Sharifs by obtaining ... 08:05 PM | 7 Jul, 2018
LAHORE - Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog has obtained arrest warrants of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, his ...
Muhammad Sajjad, brother of Safdar, said that his brother was in consultation with his lawyer to obtain pre-arrest bail by challenging the verdict in the high court.
Captain Safdar's name blacklisted after Avenfield ... 01:08 PM | 7 Jul, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The name of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s son-in-law, Captain (r) Safdar has been included in ...
Safdar's name has been included in blacklist on Saturday as was feared to flee the country, the anti-corruption watchdog said.
The Maryam's husband, who was in the run for elections from NA-14 constituency, could not take part in elections as the accountability court has barred him and his spouse from contesting polls for ten years.
- Protests against Modi govt spread across India against discriminatory ...11:55 AM | 14 Dec, 2019
- PIC’s emergency ward reopened, while OPD, indoor services remain ...11:09 AM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan urges all Muslim countries devise joint strategy to stop ...10:39 AM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Rihanna documentary sold to Amazon for $25 Million05:07 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Thank you so much for 3 million followers: Imran Abbas04:53 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019