Sharjah Book Fair 2019 sets new Guinness world record
1,502 local & foreign authors sign copies of books beating previous record of 1,423
SHARJAH - Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF) on Thursday evening broke the Guinness World Record (GWR) for the largest simultaneous book signing in one location with 1,502 authors signing copies of their own books.
A GWR official, present at the event confirmed, SIBF had beaten the previous record set by 1,423 authors in Turkey in 2010.
Thousands of fair visitors applauded the landmark accomplishment as Sharjah Book Authority (SBA) received the certificate from the GWR official.
Sharjah Book Authority receives the Guinness World Record certificate amid the celebrations and cheers of thousands of visitors, as 1502 authors and writers get together for a collective book signing ceremony, during #SIBF19.⠀— Sharjah Book Authority (@SharjahBookAuth) November 7, 2019
The signing ceremony commenced with a message from His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, delivered by HE Ahmed bin Rakkad Al Ameri, Chairman of Sharjah Book Authority (SBA), “I am honoured to convey the greetings and best wishes of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah, to all participating authors. This event is another step forward for Sharjah in the Arab and global cultural arena – an outstanding intellectual and creative achievement to be remembered as a fruit of Sharjah’s efforts for more than 40 years promoting a love of books and reading. Sharjah World Book Capital 2019 wishes you all success. With the blessings of His Highness the Ruler of Sharjah, let’s begin the world’s largest book signing ceremony.”
Upon receiving the record certificate from Guinness World Records official adjudicator, Al Ameri, said, “We thank all the authors, publishers and volunteers for enabling us to attain this world record, which is an Emirati achievement that will go down in history. This achievement is yet another endorsement of the 40-year efforts of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, in placing books, culture, and knowledge at the heart of our society. This feat is very special as it comes during a year when Sharjah is celebrating the highest recognition of culture worldwide, as UNESCO World Book Capital 2019.”
The huge halls SIBF 2019 were ablaze with excitement as, snaking its way from one end of the enormous Sharjah Expo Centre to the other, up and down aisles and corridors, were row among a row of seats and tables, as organisers prepared for a record-breaking simultaneous book signing.
- Taliban capture key Afghan border crossing with Tajikistan12:28 AM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Islamabad and Karachi ranked among the least expensive cities for ...11:30 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- Indian variant of coronavirus spreading rapidly in Israel11:14 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- UK Minister for South Asia Lord Ahmad arrives in Pakistan10:39 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- TikToker who scammed Ertuğrul star gets bail09:42 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- WCLA revives the lost culture of Kotwal in old Lahore07:20 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- Mufti Abdul Qavi caught performing obscene acts in new leaked video06:58 PM | 22 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021