Unverified SIMs to be blocked after April 12: PTA
ISLAMABAD (Web Desk) - Pakistan Telecommunications Authority (PTA) on Friday announced the deadline set for biometric verification of SIMs is going to end on April 12, and there is no plan to extend the deadline further.
Speaking to reporters in Lahore, Dr Ismail emphasised there would be no extension in the date for SIM verification. “The SIMs not verified by April 12 will be closed and consumers will need to have biometric verification done to have them reopened,” he said.
The PTA chairman further said that there was no decision to open Youtube in Pakistan and a local version of the video sharing website was finalised. PTA Chairman Dr Syed Ismail Shah asked the remaining subscribers to have their SIMs verified, emphasizing that there would be no extension and unverified SIMs would be blocked.
In the first two phases which have been completed successfully, 70.5 million SIMs out of around 136 million were verified against 54 million Computerized National Identity Cards (CNIC). Till date 11 million SIMs have been blocked.
He said already around 37 million new SIMs were issued through biometric verification system and added in total now more than 100 million SIMs have been verified with thumb impression.
He said telcos are making all out efforts to verify rest of the SIMs before the end of the final deadline.
He said all operators and their franchises and retail network played a pivotal role towards meeting deadlines and added as per guidelines of Ministry of Interior the final deadline would not be extended which is also in the best interest of the country.
Dr. Ismail Shah reiterated that PTA would ensure taking all possible measures to facilitate the re verification process.
- Dr Shahid Masood strikes again – this time about ‘Pakistani ...12:17 AM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Pakistan's Hassan Mairaj declared overall best foreign national ...11:48 PM | 2 Dec, 2020
- Netflix to create Korean version of Money Heist09:19 PM | 2 Dec, 2020
- Behroze Sabzwari tests positive for COVID-1907:59 PM | 2 Dec, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi tweets about writing a book on God07:16 PM | 2 Dec, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020