Aamir Liaquat served show-cause notice for contempt of court
The development came as the top court heard a contempt petition filed in the backdrop of 'hate speech' by the media personality against his fellow anchor Shahzeb Khanzada.
A three-member bench of the apex court was also shown the video clips of Liaquat - who is set to take oath as a lawmaker in next few days - in which he was allegedly inciting violence and hatred and taunted Khanzada by labeling him as 'Google Baba'.
When Liaquat tried to clarify his position, the top judge Mian Saqib Nisar remarked that no drama would be allowed inside the courtroom as the respondent was not occupying any stage for a performance.
However, Liaquat expressed that he had referred to Shahzeb Khanzada as 'Baba' because the term is used as a gesture of respect.
When the top judge inquired as to whom Liaquat referred to as 'Father and son of India', he responded that the words were used for Indian National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and premier, Narendra Modi.
Mian Saqib Nisar observed that according to reports, Liaquat's mother had cordial ties with Chief Executive Officer of Geo News, Mir Shakilur Rehman.
The apex court also hinted at disqualifying the lawmaker-elect by wondering whether such people, who don't have any control over their commentary, should be allowed to sit in the parliament or not.
*More updates to follow
- Two Indian army pilots killed in helicopter crash in occupied Kashmir02:51 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Greek envoy meets COAS Bajwa, hails Pakistan’s efforts for regional ...02:19 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Taliban spox heaps praise on PM Imran for peace efforts in Afghanistan01:56 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan mulls legal action against England, NZ cricket teams: Info ...01:36 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra granted bail in pornography case ...12:10 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Top PR, event management agencies announce Pakistan’s first council ...07:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Canadian vlogger Rosie Gabrielle wants everyone to know that Pakistan ...05:53 PM | 20 Sep, 2021