Saudi Arabia increases Pakistan's Haj quota by 5,000 for 2018
According to media reports, Saudi authorities have increased Pakistan’s Haj quota by 5,000, taking the number of pilgrims to 184,210 from 179,210.
The hike in the quota will be effective from Haj to be performed later this year. Reports said that the additional quota, according to Haj policy, will be distributed among the private tour operators.
Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has informed the Pakistani ministry about the latest development.
In 2017, the Arab country had enhanced Haj quota from 143,368 to 179,210 after an agreement with Pakistani officials.
Last month, the Ministry of Religious Affairs postponed the balloting of Haj applications under the government scheme for an indefinite period due to a stay order issued by the Sindh High Court.
The Sukkur bench of the High Court issued the stay order while hearing a petition filed by Mufti Abdul Majid against the new Haj policy, which bars a person from performing the Haj more than once during the specific time period. The petition argued that such move is against Shariah.
The officials of religious ministry have decided to move the Supreme Court against the high court's orders, while the new date for the draw will be announced accordingly.
This year record-breaking Haj applications were received as 374,829 people submitted applications for the Government Haj scheme 2018. Under the policy, total 120,000 applicants will be selected through balloting.
The ministry received the highest number of applications from Karachi, totaling 81,985. It was followed by Lahore with 72,483, while Islamabad stood third with 67,896 applications.
- Pakistan vs Netherlands: First match of ODI series to be played today12:35 AM | 16 Aug, 2022
- Another medal for Pakistan at Islamic Games12:21 AM | 16 Aug, 2022
- Tiger Shroff addresses Disha Patani breakup rumours11:59 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Pakistani Hajj pilgrims to receive Rs150,000 in subsidy from tomorrow11:25 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Pakistani movie wins award at Indian Film Festival of Melbourne10:51 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Nauman Ijaz shows PDA for wife on her birthday09:31 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Dananeer Mobeen's vivacious personality comes out in new video09:55 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Alia Bhatt gives fans a sneak peek into her adorable babymoon10:25 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022