SC summons Imran Khan to justify money trail in disqualification case
During today's hearing, the Chief Justice said certain important questions were raised in the case pertaining to the money trail of the former cricket captain regarding his purchase of Bani Gala property.
"The money trail of one of Khan's accounts is vague," remarked the Chief Justice.
In response to PTI counsel Naeem Bukhari's statement that the PTI chief was able to purchase property through his income from playing cricket, the bench inquired about details of the former cricketer's savings and documentation of bank accounts.
Bukhari said he would provide the details to the court but the Chief Justice said Imran Khan should appear in person and explain his position.
Abbasi's petition accuses the PTI leader of not declaring his assets to the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) and seeks to unseat him based on alleged violations of the Income Tax Ordinance 1979 and Peoples Act 1974.
The PML-N leader’s petition claims that Jemima Goldsmith –Imran’s first wife – did not file her income tax, during her time in Pakistan, suggesting that she was, in fact, a dependent on her former husband and had no taxable income.
Abbasi claimed that Imran was bound to declare the assets of Jemima before the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) in his nomination papers during the relevant period, but he avoided it.
- US formally ends combat mission in Iraq after 18 years01:20 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- All 'unnecessary movement' restricted in Karachi after 6pm as Covid ...12:47 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- Pakistan amicably repatriates 46 Afghan soldiers who crossed border ...12:24 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- Budding Pakistani singer accused of sexually assaulting woman in ...11:26 PM | 26 Jul, 2021
- Jennifer Lopez celebrates 52nd birthday with Ben Affleck04:36 PM | 26 Jul, 2021
- Pakistani bride's super dancing entry goes viral (VIDEO)03:37 PM | 26 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021