Pakistan’s agenda in Afghanistan complicating fight against terrorism, says top US commander
In an Interview with Voice of America (VoA) General Nicholson also lamented Russia and Iran for pushing their own agendas in war-torn country.
'Russia, Pakistan and Iran are pursuing their own agendas with regard to the fragile country, complicating the fight against terrorism and extremism' he said.
The official remarked that the Trump administration wanted cooperation from Pakistan against all terrorists.
'We all hope for a change in Pakistani behaviour, this is in Pakistan's interest' Nicholson added.
He maintained that Russia's links with Afghan Taliban were also a matter of concern for the US.
'Russia has been legitimising the Taliban and supporting the Taliban, meanwhile, the Taliban supports terrorists. I'm very sorry to see Russia supporting the Taliban and narcoterrorism' Nicholson said.
When asked about the role of Iran, Nicholson said Tehran appeared to be supporting extremists in western Afghanistan adding that the situation was more complex than with Russia.
'There needs to be a relationship between Afghanistan and Iran, which have seen a resurgence in trade that has partially compensated for a decline in Afghan economic activity with Pakistan' Nicholson asserted.
- PM Imran congratulates newly-elected Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi10:12 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 — Islamabad United and Multan Sultans to fight it out ...08:18 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Matric students to prepare board exams through Exam Prep Master ...05:49 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Madhuri Dixit and Jaaved Jaaferi set the stage on fire with killer ...05:00 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Zara Noor Abbas lands in hot waters after latest photoshoot04:06 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021