Rights activist Jibran Nisar summoned over 'anti-forces slogans'
The high court on Friday issued a notice to Nasir following a petition filed by a voter from the NA-247 constituency seeking disqualification of the activist from the general elections set to be held on July 25.
In a tweet, Nasir stated that he has been served notice to appear before the court on July 16. “Forces intimidated by our struggle are filing frivolous cases,” he added.
A concerned voter of my constituency has moved High Court to disqualify me from contesting elections accusing me of "raising slogans against secuirty agencies" I was served notice today to appear in Court on 16 July. Forces intimidated by our struggle are filing frivolous cases pic.twitter.com/7DgPB6TKQN— M. Jibran Nasir 🇵🇸 (@MJibranNasir) July 13, 2018
Talking to an English daily, Nasir vowed to appear before the court, besides dubbing the notice as an attempt to distract his election campaign.
“If the court gives weightage to such cases, I am not going to apologise to the state and security agencies for it,” Nasir told Express Tribune. "What kind of examples would it set for other lawmakers if he is barred for contesting elections under this petition?"
He further tweeted, "I take full responsibility and ownership of all and remarks made by me about any security agency. I will not retract on any word as reminding institutions of their constitutional authority and criticizing them for transgressions is no crime".
The petitioner in the plea stated that Jibran "often provoked/incited peoples to make illegal protest against the Security Agencies of Pakistan".
He added that the rights activist "once provoked the people and took them in the premises of Honorable High Court of Sindh in which he and his accompanies made slogans against the Security Agencies of Pakistan".
- Pakistan initiates dialogue with Taliban for an inclusive Afghan ...03:18 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Sindh announces public holiday on Sept 22 to mark Urs of Shah Abdul ...02:33 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Watch: PIA flight receives water cannon salute in Syria01:49 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan’s Babar Masih outclasses India’s Ishpreet Singh at ...01:44 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- A New SUV is Being Tested on the Roads of Pakistan01:35 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Malala proud of Angelina Jolie for writing a book for children04:55 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Dur-e-Fishan and Danish Taimoor pair up for upcoming drama Ishq e ...04:30 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Alka Yagnik super excited for Imran Abbas's new drama serial 'Amanat'04:12 PM | 17 Sep, 2021