Trump authorises U.S military to set troop levels in Afghanistan
Once the decision is announced, Defence Secretary James Mattis will able to decide whether to increase troops or not.
The decision is similar to one which was announced in April this year giving authority to U.S. military regarding setting troop levels in Iraq and Syria.
In late April, Trump similarly gave Mattis the authority to manage the U.S. troop levels in Iraq and Syria.
Earlier on Tuesday, Mattis informed a congressional panel that the review will be concluded in mid-July.
Mattis further told the Senate Armed Services Committee, "We are not winning in Afghanistan right now, and we will correct this as soon as possible."
Currently, there are about 8,400 American troops deployed in Afghanistan to assist the Afghan military in its fight against the Taliban and the ISIS affiliate in Afghanistan.
- Dominant Pakistan rout host Indonesia 13-0 at Asia Hockey Cup10:44 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Pakistani beauty mogul Shiza teams up with Selena Gomez for cookware ...10:17 PM | 24 May, 2022
- No monkeypox case detected in Pakistan, says top health body09:54 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Lahore, Rawalpindi boards cancel Matric exam09:37 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Google celebrates 15 years of Street View09:09 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Srha Asghar and Rabya Kulsoom's dance video goes viral06:18 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Humayun Saeed updates fans about upcoming series based on Salahuddin ...07:00 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic’s new bold photos set internet on fire04:40 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022