Imran Khan moves IHC against ECP's warrants in contempt case
The petition filed on Wednesday states that the ECP had made him (Imran) a target of political victimisation and exceeded its jurisdiction pleading that the commission had violated his basic rights by issuing the warrants.
The PTI supremo had voluntarily decided to appear before the election regulator on October 26 after it issued non-bailable arrest warrants for the PTI chief on October 12 pertaining to a contempt of court case against him.
The five-member ECP, bench headed by Chief Election Commissioner Justice (retd) Sardar Raza Khan, had ordered the police to arrest Imran and produce him before the commission on October 26.
Imran to 'voluntarily' appear before ECP on Oct 26 08:47 PM | 16 Oct, 2017
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan has decided to appear ‘voluntarily’ before the ...
Nonetheless, on September 14, the ECP had issued bailable warrants against Imran to ensure his presence in the case.
Imran was directed to submit a surety bond worth Rs100,000 until September 25 and nominate two persons who would ensure payment of the amount and be held responsible otherwise.
Imran was also ordered to appear on that day in the commission in person, however, the PTI approached the IHC through his counsel Babar Awan which suspended the bailable arrest warrants.
The ECP had issued the contempt notice to Khan on January 24 over his 'scandalous remarks' about the commission which was investigating the foreign funding of party.
PTI's founding member, Akbar S Babar informed the commission that Mr Khan had accused the ECP of being biased in the foreign funding case following which his counsel had tendered an apology with the commission.
Babr claimed that the PTI chairman in a TV interview said that his counsel had tendered an apology in his personal capacity and that he (Imran) had not apologised.
- 'Proud' Islamabad café owners apologise over 'gup shup' with manager ...05:59 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- #K2Winter2021 – Nepalese expedition team calls on Pakistan ...05:41 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan announces to increase electricity tariff by Rs1.95/Unit05:00 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Wedding festivities kick in for Bakhtawar-Mahmood as groom lands in ...04:36 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Maya Ali thanks fans as she hits 5 million Instagram followers03:41 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021