Raheel Sharif finds honour in heading Saudi-led military alliance
Addressing the Middle East Military Alliance and Coordination Conference, General (r) Raheel Sharif on Tuesday said that Muslim countries were facing many challenges, including organized terrorism that poses great threat to the future of the region.
He added that the region was also facing economic and social challenges, which can be tackled through a coordinated approach.
He called for joint efforts to weed out the menace of terrorism.
Pakistan rendered great sacrifices and played an important role to restore world peace, he added.
The former army chief’s Saudi assignment to lead Islamic Military Alliance has been a matter of controversy in the media. This coalition force was formed by Saudi Arabia's Defence Minister Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud on December 15, 2015.
The controversies were put to rest after Defence Minister Khawaja Asif said that Pakistan government has formally permitted ex-army chief Gen Raheel Sharif to lead the Saudi military alliance to fight militancy.
Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Tunisia, Sudan, Malaysia, Egypt, Yemen and other Muslim countries are said to be part of the coalition.
The coalition would tackle "the Islamic world's problem with terrorism and will be a partner in the worldwide fight against this scourge" Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud at a press conference in Riyadh in 2015.
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-March-04- Updated ...09:35 AM | 5 Mar, 2021
- How to complete PSL 6? ShahidAfridi shares his formula following ...11:11 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Sana Javed wins Best Actress award for Ruswai09:24 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021