Triumphant Pakistani team gets rousing welcome back home (see pictures)
The captain Sarfraz Ahmed landed back in Karachi early Tuesday but his house was swarmed with people even before his arrival.
Roads leading to and from the captain's house were jam-packed with supporters who kept awake to catch a glimpse of the victorious champ.
Apart from Sarfaraz, several other cricketers including Fakhar Zaman, who's performance sealed victory on Sunday was warmly welcomed.
Zaman was showered with petals and fans gathered outside Peshawar airport amid roars of "Pakistan Zinbabad".
Talking to newsmen from his home in Mardan, Zaman said it was his dream to score a century in the final against India, adding the team had decided in a meeting before the final that they would play aggressively.
Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan and Junaid Khan arrived in Islamabad where a fleet of policemen gave a guard of honour to the three players at the airport.
"I wanted to play for the team, not for myself. The first priority is to make the team win," Imad Wasim said speaking to reporters.
"Sarfaraz bhai is an excellent captain, I have been playing with him for ten years," he added.
Former Interior Minister and PPP stalwart Rehman Malik, present at the airport to welcome the players home, congratulated the national team and the country.
Earlier, Ahmed Shehzad, Hassan Ali and Fahim Ashraf arrived at the Allama Iqbal International Airport Lahore. They were received by provincial sports minister Jahangir Khanzada, minister for school education Rana Mashood, Food Minister Bilal Yasin, Minister Higher Education Ali Raza Gillani and assistant to chief minister Punjab, Muhammad Malik and Mayor Lahore Col. (retd) Mubashir besides scores of other cricket-frenzy supporters.
Green Shirts outperformed their arch-rivals India on Sunday in a high-octane clash at Oval by a staggering 180 runs to clinch the title of Champions Trophy for the fist time in history stunning cricket experts across the globe.
- It’s Galaxy Week on Samsung’s Online Shop!04:02 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Three ruling party, four opposition lawmakers banned from entering ...03:46 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Kamyab Jawan and PepsiCo sign up to offer Pakistan’s largest ...03:31 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Meera demands justice after goons attack her family02:46 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- PM Imran shares a throwback childhood photo with family05:30 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Feroze Khan opens up about second marriage04:07 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021