Mother Language Day being marked today
This underlines the importance of mother languages for quality education and linguistic diversity, to take forward the new 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
"Mother languages in a multilingual approach are essential components of quality education, which is itself the foundation for empowering women and men and their societies", said by Irina Bokova, UNESCO Director General on the occasion of the day .
International Mother Language Day was proclaimed by the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in November 1999 and proclaimed 2008 as the International Year of Languages, to promote unity in diversity and international understanding, through multilingualism and multiculturalism.
International Mother Language Day has been observed every year since February 2000 to promote linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism. Languages are the most powerful instruments of preserving and developing our tangible and intangible heritage.
All moves to promote the dissemination of mother tongues served not only to encourage linguistic diversity and multilingual education but also to develop fuller awareness of linguistic and cultural traditions throughout the world and to inspire solidarity based on understanding, tolerance and dialogue.
In Pakistan the two-day Pakistan Mother Languages Literature Festival held at Lok Virsa, Islamabad on Sunday which features a variety of cultural activities in fifteen to twenty languages also include discussions on languages, literature and culture, book launches, mother language symposiums, music events, audio- visual screenings and performances.
Different organizations also held programmes, including walks, seminars, and cultural events to highlight the cultural and linguistic diversity.
- FO reacts to US State Secretary Blinken’s remarks about ...08:50 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- PAKvNZ – Trophy unveiled ahead of first Pakistan-New Zealand ODI ...08:06 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Fawad Chaudhry, Azam Swati served notices for levelling allegations ...07:50 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- SBP enables Pakistanis to open bank accounts through digital channels07:15 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Virat Kohli announces to step down as India’s T20I captain06:41 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Faryal Mehmood’s new bold dance video goes viral05:54 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Nadia Hussain in hot water over controversial statement05:27 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Asim Azhar and Bilal Maqsood jam together on iconic songs05:00 PM | 16 Sep, 2021