CJP Nisar says elections will be held on time
The chief justice gave the remarks while hearing a case regarding Election Commission of Pakistan’s temporary ban on recruitment in state departments.
On April 11, the ECP imposed a ban on fresh recruitment in all government departments ahead of the upcoming general election.
Under which law, the ECP has imposed the ban, the chief justice questioned during the hearing.
The ECP secretary replied that the Election Act, 2017 authorised the Commission to conduct fair elections; therefore, such measures were being taken.
The chief justice asked if the ban on hiring will be implemented on the key institution where a process of appointing heads was underway. The chief justice then inquired if such a decision will affect government functions.
He remarked that complaints regarding appointments are also filed in the high courts, adding that cases would be decided as soon as possible as the court did not want a delay in elections.
“Elections will be held on prescribed period under the Constitution,” he reiterated.
A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar and comprising Justice Umar Ata Bandial and Ijaz-ul-Ahsan, then adjourned the case till Tuesday, while a notice has been sent to the ECP.
The ECP in an official statement said that ban will take effect from April 01. All federal and provincial authorities have been issued directives to strictly comply with the restrictions, the Commission said.
It added the ban is aimed to ensure transparency in the general elections scheduled around August this year.
On Tuesday, the electoral body announced that April 24 is the last date, after which any change to the voter details or the constituency will not be possible.
According to the ECP, the voters can confirm their registration and acquire details of their constituency on the mobile phones by sending a text message on 8300.
The National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) has handed over the list of 104.26 million voters to the ECP.
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 06 May 202108:49 AM | 6 May, 2021
- Ferozsons Laboratories salutes Healthcare Heroes by lighting National ...11:52 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Watch: Filling station worker douses ‘robbers’ with fuel11:21 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Pakistan Army captain among three soldiers martyred in Waziristan ...11:02 PM | 5 May, 2021
- 100 DG Khan students graduate from US-funded English Access program10:09 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Salman Khan and Disha Patani sizzle in Radhe title track10:07 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Saboor Aly shares a heartwarming video from her Baat Paki celebration02:50 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Nazish Jahangir sheds light on the controversy with Mohsin Abbas ...02:10 PM | 5 May, 2021