JIT formed to interrogate Dr Asim Hussain
Hussain is also heading Sindh's Higher Education Commission.
The JIT comprises of representatives of Police, Rangers, Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and National Accountability Bureau (NAB).
Earlier personnel in plain clothes raided the Sindh HEC office on Wednesday, taking the former petroleum minister away to an undisclosed location for interrogation.
Sources revealed that during interrogation by officials of an intelligence agency, the former federal minister agreed to provide information related to some key political personalities and alleged money-laundering worth billions of rupees.
Dr Asim, who also owns a private medical university and hospital in Karachi, is considered a close aide of former president and Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) Co-Chairman Asif Ali Zardari.
He was appointed as the federal minister for petroleum during the PPP government in 2008, during which he was accused of corruption in the LNG and LPG deals and indiscriminately issuing licenses for CNG stations.
He is facing several cases of corruption filed against him by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB).
Family granted meeting
Meanwhile, the ATC allowed Hussain’s family a meeting with him, after a petition was submitted in the Sindh High Court (SHC) challenging his detention.
Dr Zareen, Dr Asim’s wife, wrote a letter to Inspector General Sindh that her husband suffers from diabetes and high blood pressure and relies on medication. She asked for permission to be allowed to meet Dr Asim in order to monitor his condition.
Hussain’s arrest has been challenged by Maulvi Iqbal Haider Advocate who filed a petition in SHC.
He requested the court to issue directives for his release.
- Javed Afridi meets PM Imran to discuss of foreign direct investment ...11:11 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- NAB summons Fazlur Rehman’s son-in-law to declare assets10:37 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- COAS Bajwa congratulates Nepalese climbers for first winter ascent of ...09:32 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- A paper tiger? PML-N's Rana Sanaullah 'roars' at Lahore court (VIDEO)08:22 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Mufti Abdul Qavi declared 'a mental patient' amid Hareem Shah ...08:00 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Sara Ali Khan swings into the weekend with style in Maldives03:56 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Pakistanis plan an ‘Urdu Mushaira’ outside Islamabad café as ...03:34 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Cannoli café manager gets job offers from Shahbaz Taseer and Karak ...05:59 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021