7 proven health benefits of eating walnuts
Promotes a healthy gut: Studies suggest that if your gut is rich in health-promoting bacteria and other microbes, you’re more likely to have a healthy gut and good overall health.
An unhealthy composition of your microbiota can contribute to inflammation and disease in your gut and elsewhere in your body, increasing your risk of obesity, heart disease, and cancer.
Eating walnuts may be one way to support the health of your microbiota and your gut.
Anti-cancer benefits: Observational studies suggest that eating walnuts may reduce your risk of certain cancers, including breast, prostate and colorectal cancers.
Urolithins can have anti-inflammatory properties in your gut, which may be one way that eating walnuts help protect against colorectal cancer.
Supports healthy aging: As you age, good physical functioning is essential for maintaining your mobility and independence. One thing that may help maintain your physical abilities is healthy eating habits.
Supports good brain functioning: It may be just a coincidence that the shell of a walnut looks like a tiny brain, but research suggests that this nut may indeed be good for your mind.
Improves blood fats: Elevated levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol and triglycerides have long been linked to an increased heart disease risk. Walnuts have also helped in decreasing the cholesterol level.
For example, in a recent study in 194 healthy adults, eating 1.5 ounces (43 grams) of walnuts daily for eight weeks produced a 5% decrease in total cholesterol, 5% decrease in LDL cholesterol and 5% decrease in triglycerides.
In a well-controlled study in 10 obese people, drinking a smoothie made with about 1.75 ounces (48 grams) of walnuts once a day for five days decreased appetite and hunger, compared to a placebo drink equal in calories and nutrients.
Good source of Vitamin E: portion. The form of vitamin E found in walnuts is somewhat unusual, and particularly beneficial. Instead of having most of its vitamin E present in the alpha-tocopherol form, walnuts provide an unusually high level of vitamin E in the form of gamma-tocopherol.
- SC’s Justice Isa allowed to argue his case himself12:07 AM | 3 Mar, 2021
- China to gift additional 0.5 million doses of coronavirus vaccine to ...11:43 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- What a delivery! Woman orders iPhone 12 Pro Max but receives Apple ...11:32 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- Pakistan aims at vaccinating 70 million people against COVID-19 in ...11:31 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- First round matches decided in Hush Puppies Junior National Tennis11:19 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- 'Darlings’ – Alia Bhatt collaborates with Shahrukh Khan for first ...07:06 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- Mere Paas Tum Ho actor Rehmat Ajmal looks stunning on her Mayoun03:15 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021