Avenfield reference verdict: Nawaz Sharif, Maryam and Capt (r) Safdar sentenced to prison by accountability court
In the 100-page decision, Accountability Judge Mohammad Bashir also sentenced Sharif’s daughter, Maryam Nawaz, to seven year in jail for forgery and making assets through illegal sources in the landmark decision. She has been ordered to pay a fine of £2 million (Rs320 million).
Moreover, the judge ordered to seal the property in question, suggesting the government to do legislation to bring plundered money back to the country.
Detailed judgement of Avenfield case against ... 08:41 PM | 6 Jul, 2018
ISLAMABAD - An accountability court handed a 10-year sentence and £8 million (Rs1.29 billion) to Pakistan’s former ...
Capt (r) Safdar Awan, who is the son-in-law of Nawaz Sharif, was jailed for one year for cheating.
The Friday's verdict is in line with Section 9 of the NAB Ordinance, 1999, which pertains to corruption and corrupt practices.
Nawaz Sharif, along with his children, heard the verdict in the British capital where he is tending to his ailing wife, Kulsoom Nawaz.
- Nawaz Sharif gets 10 years in prison, Maryam seven, and Capt (r) Safdar one year
- The ex-PM ordered to pay a fine of £8 million (Rs1.29 billion)
- Maryam Nawaz barred from contesting elections for next 10 years
- Avenfield properties to be sealed on court orders
- Perpetual arrest warrants issued for Sharif's two sons – Hassan and Hussain
- The much-awaited verdict was announced at 04:30pm, after delayed for fourth time
- Accountability judge dismisses Nawaz Sharif's plea to postpone the decision
- Strict security arrangements in place at Islamabad's Federal Judicial Complex
- PML-N workers to remain calm, according to an intelligence report
Earlier this week, on July 3, the court had reserved the verdict in the Avenfield reference, which pertains to the Park Lane apartments (flats 16, 16-A, 17, and 17-A Avenfield House, Park Lane) of the Sharif family, involving Nawaz Sharif, his three children, and son-in-law Capt (r) Safdar as the accused.
The reference is among the three filed on the Supreme Court's directives last year against the Sharif family by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in the Panama Papers case.
Panama Case verdict: Supreme Court disqualifies ... 12:08 PM | 28 Jul, 2017
ISLAMABAD - On Friday, the Supreme Court of Pakistan disqualified Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif for not disclosing his ...
Nawaz Sharif and his daughter Maryam Safdar have been in London since June 14 tending to Kulsoom Nawaz, who is under medical treatment there.
Mr. Sharif, who ruled the country for three times, had requested the anti-corruption body on Wednesday to delay the verdict saying, "My wife has been on a ventilator since the last 21 days. I want to hear the verdict in the courtroom where I have presented myself with my daughter over 100 times.”
“I am not a dictator who will run away from the courts," the 68-year-old said on Wednesday from London.
Begum Kalsoom Nawaz does not need more cardiac ... 10:46 PM | 5 Jul, 2018
LONDON - The medical report submitted in the accountability court by the Sharif family revealed that Begum Kalsoom ...
'Don't you worry Lions!'
Just an hour before the verdict's announcement, Maryam Nawaz took to Twitter to lend moral support to the party supporters, saying "O Lions of Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N)! Do not worry, come what (decision) may! This not something new for your Nawaz Sharif who has already faced life term, exile and disqualifications."
مسلم لیگ ن کے شیرو یاد رکھنا!فیصلہ جوبھی آئے گھبرانا نہیں!آپکے نواز شریف کے لیے یہ سب نیا نہیں۔وہ پہلےبھی نااہلی عمر قیدجیل جلاوطنی بھگت چکے— Maryam Nawaz Sharif (@MaryamNSharif) July 6, 2018
In a series of tweets (in Urdu), she said it was a positive sign in the situation that there is a leader who stands firm for "your honor, for country's honour and the sanctity of your vote and is prepared to sacrifice everything.
خوشی کی بات یہ ہے کہ کوئی لیڈر ہے جو آپ کی خاطر،وطن عزیز کی خاطر، آپ کے ووٹ کی عزت کی خاطر ڈٹ کر کھڑا ہے اور کوئی بھی قربانی دینے کو تیار ہے— Maryam Nawaz Sharif (@MaryamNSharif) July 6, 2018
"Despite knowing it is not an easy path, and that he will have to pay the price for choosing this path, he has chosen this path and paid the heavy price," she said.
اس نے جانتے ہوئے کہ یہ راستہ آسان نہیں اور اس کی قیمت چکانی پڑے گی، یہی راستہ چنا،بھاری قیمت چکائی ۔— Maryam Nawaz Sharif (@MaryamNSharif) July 6, 2018
"Thanks to Almighty these forces failed to bring him (Nawaz) to his knees despite acute adversities," Maryam wrote on her official twitter handle.
مشکل ترین حالات کے باوجود یہ قوتیں اس کو الحمدااللہ جھکانے میں ناکام رہیں— Maryam Nawaz Sharif (@MaryamNSharif) July 6, 2018
"Judgment will be given on July 25. Remember the faces of these schemers and pawns on that day. Now or never. InshaAllah,victory awaits you."
فیصلہ تو 25 جولائی کو ہونا ہے۔ ان سازشیوں اور مہروں کے چہرےاس دن یاد رکھنا۔ ابھی نہیں تو کبھی نہیں۔انشاءالّلہ فتح آپ کی منتظر ہے۔— Maryam Nawaz Sharif (@MaryamNSharif) July 6, 2018
The Sharifs and their supporters have repeatedly denied allegations of corruption, suggesting the former prime minister is the victim of a conspiracy driven by Pakistan's powerful military establishment.
Nawaz Sharif was the 15th prime minister in Pakistan's 70-year history - roughly half of it under military rule - to be removed before completing a full term.
Avenfield verdict: Maryam, Captain Safdar barred ... 04:32 PM | 6 Jul, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The accountability court in Islamabad has barred Maryam Nawaz, the former first daughter, and her ...
The court ruling comes just days ahead of general elections, pitting the PML-N against its main rival, the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party led by former cricket star Imran Khan.
Strict security arrangements are in place, with paramilitary troops deputed at the Federal Judicial Complex, where the court is located. The roads leading to the complex have also been closed to traffic.
Moreover, the district administration has imposed Section 144 in the capital to discourage mass gatherings.
- Welsh slate is now on list of Unesco World Heritage Sites12:56 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- July 29, 1958 -- On this day in history US set up NASA12:43 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- PM Imran names man who ‘offered bribe’ for withdrawal of Panama ...12:31 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- India ‘ready’ to restore special status of occupied Kashmir at ...12:15 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Honda rolls out new model of City variant tomorrow11:44 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Nora Fatehi’s belly dance moves in ‘Zaalima Coca Cola’ set ...04:04 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Mehrooz Waseem hits back, accuses Usman Mukhtar of harassment03:48 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Maya Ali's colourful birthday celebrations go viral03:34 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021