Pakistan, India cricket series in Sri Lanka; 'formal announcement any moment'
LAHORE (Staff Report) - Chances of possible cricket series between Pakistan and India are once again high as unconfirmed reports of Indian media suggest that a formal announcement of any such series to be played in Sri Lanka can be made any moment.
Reports said that two teams will play three ODI matches and three T20 games during a tour that would begin from December 15.
Earlier on Wednesday Indian Minister for Sports Sarbananda Sonowal had announced to back the proposal of any series between Pakistan and India in Sri Lanka.
Speaking to newsmen, Sonowal went on to say that Board for Cricket Control in India (BCCI) is working on a proposal to play series with Pakistan at some neutral venue other than United Arab Emirates (UAE), and we need to back BCCI at this.
Any cricket series at this time would not only help in promotion of the game but it will also be helpful in mending ties of two neighbors, he said.
Media reports also insisted that India can go ahead playing with Pakistan following a brief meeting and handshake of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the UN Climate Change Conference in Paris.
However none of the reports can be trusted until the series is announced officially. Specially in a situation when Indian foreign office has responded "PM Nawaz's green signal to play with India" saying that we have not made any decision at this so far.
Foreign Office spokesman believes that BCCI needs an official permission of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) to play any series in Sri Lanka or any other place.
According to a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between PCB and BCCI, the two boards have pledged to play as many as six bilateral series in ten years.
The two nations have played no bilateral cricket series since 2008, however Pakistan did visit India to play ICC World Cup 2011 semifinal match which ended in its defeat.
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Two Pakistan High commission officials asked to leave India in 24 ...10:40 PM | 31 May, 2020
- ‘History in Making’ — Pakistani plane flies directly to US for ...10:07 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Petrol price slashed by Rs7.06 per litre in Pakistan09:01 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Abrar Ul Haq tests positive for COVID-1908:32 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020