Pakistan, India cricket series in Sri Lanka; 'formal announcement any moment'
LAHORE (Staff Report) - Chances of possible cricket series between Pakistan and India are once again high as unconfirmed reports of Indian media suggest that a formal announcement of any such series to be played in Sri Lanka can be made any moment.
Reports said that two teams will play three ODI matches and three T20 games during a tour that would begin from December 15.
Earlier on Wednesday Indian Minister for Sports Sarbananda Sonowal had announced to back the proposal of any series between Pakistan and India in Sri Lanka.
Speaking to newsmen, Sonowal went on to say that Board for Cricket Control in India (BCCI) is working on a proposal to play series with Pakistan at some neutral venue other than United Arab Emirates (UAE), and we need to back BCCI at this.
Any cricket series at this time would not only help in promotion of the game but it will also be helpful in mending ties of two neighbors, he said.
Media reports also insisted that India can go ahead playing with Pakistan following a brief meeting and handshake of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the UN Climate Change Conference in Paris.
However none of the reports can be trusted until the series is announced officially. Specially in a situation when Indian foreign office has responded "PM Nawaz's green signal to play with India" saying that we have not made any decision at this so far.
Foreign Office spokesman believes that BCCI needs an official permission of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) to play any series in Sri Lanka or any other place.
According to a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between PCB and BCCI, the two boards have pledged to play as many as six bilateral series in ten years.
The two nations have played no bilateral cricket series since 2008, however Pakistan did visit India to play ICC World Cup 2011 semifinal match which ended in its defeat.
- Govt to spend more than Rs30b on higher education this year, says ...11:57 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- SC moved to cancel bail of Maryam Nawaz10:25 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Orange Line Metro Train's test run on Dec 1010:14 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Youth-led projects showcased in Student Leaders Conference08:41 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Infinix, CarlCare join hands with M&P to provide unmatched after-sale ...08:26 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Mehwish Hayat says Pervez Musharraf deserves a chance to be heard02:30 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Kate Middleton thanks Maheen Khan with sweet note02:06 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Humayun Saeed shares an all smile picture with brothers01:39 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019