Kevin Pietersen retires from cricket
The 37-year-old, currently playing for the Melbourne Stars in the BBL, said after Saturday night’s derby loss to the Renegades that had made the decision “recently”.
“I’m done and dusted, playing days,” he said.
“You get to that time in your career when you think ‘do I want this?’
“I want it desperately at the moment … but I don’t think I will want it in 10 months’ time.
“I just don’t see myself wanting to play cricket in December.”
Pietersen said he would honour playing commitments with the Pakistan Super League and in South Africa, but that would be it.
He is out of contract with the Stars at the end of this BBL season.
Pietersen is England’s fifth-highest Test run scorer, with 8181 in 104 matches at an average of 47.28. He has the best average of the top five, now led by current opener Alastair Cook.
Pietersen is also England’s highest runscorer in all forms of the game combined. But he was also a controversial figure and was dumped from English international teams after the disastrous 2013-14 Ashes Tour.
He then became a T20 specialist and last August he confirmed his career in England was over.
- T-20 World Cup: Scotland beat Papua New Guinea by 17 runs12:13 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup: Bangladesh defeat Oman in must-win game11:32 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Indian man tells PM Modi to stop this ‘shameful act' immediately10:26 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Father, daughter drown at Hawke’s Bay09:51 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Kumail Nanjiani dressed up in a Pakistani designer at Eternals ...02:00 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Ayeza Khan’s new fashion look gets trolled by netizens05:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Alka Yagnik has the sweetest birthday wish for Imran Abbas05:10 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021