LHC's larger bench to scrutinize NAB chief's appointment
LAHORE - The Lahore High Court (LHC) constituted a larger bench on Thursday on a petition against the appointment of Justice (r) Javed Iqbal as chairman of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB).
LHC Chief Justice Sardar Mohammad Shamim Khan constituted the bench, comprising Justice Qasim Khan, Justice Malik Shahzad and Justice Asjad Javed Gharal on a petition filed by Advocate A.K. Dogar.
Dogar had moved the provincial high court in March this year, seeking directives to annul the appointment of the NAB chairman and a reversal of all actions taken by the accountability watchdog during his stint.
The lawyer was of the view that the NAB chief had been appointed in violations of the laws and the Constitution, seeking the court to reverse the sentence of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif who was convicted after the bureau filed references against him.
On the issue of Sharif's release, Justice Qasim Khan had rejected the plea, remarking that the former premier's bail applications were already pending before the Islamabad High Court (IHC).
The incumbent NAB chief was appointed during the stint of Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz in 2017.
- Three Pakistan soldiers martyred in Balochistan terrorist attack09:49 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- UAE moves to third stage of COVID-19 vaccine trials09:46 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan stands by Turkey against FETO threat, Imran tells Erdogan09:29 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- UAE’s Covid-19 vaccine enters final testing stage09:25 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Pakistani university announces fee waiver for Spring semester amid ...09:18 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Asim and I share a bond beyond anyone’s comprehension: Hania Amir05:22 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Hadiqa Kiani releases song to pay tribute to Kashmiri Martyrs12:38 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- Nadia Jamil updates her fans about her recovery after chemo12:13 PM | 14 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020