Erdogan's visit to Pakistan delayed, confirms FO spokesman
ISLAMABAD - The Foreign Office on Thursday confirmed that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's envisaged visit to Pakistan has been postponed.
FO spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal announced it during his weekly briefing, hours after a Turkish diplomat revealed the development through Twitter.
President @RTErdogan's envisaged visit to 🇵🇰 will be re-scheduled for an early future date.— 🇹🇷 Mustafa Yurdakul /مصطفی (@Mustafa_MFA) October 16, 2019
It had earlier been reported that the Turkish president would pay an official visit to Pakistan on October 23 to strengthen bilateral relations.
A new date for the visit of the Turkish President would be announced later, Faisal added without revealing the reasons behind the postponement.
The anticipated tour might have been delayed due to Turkey's current offensive against Kurdish militants in Syria. The offensive also caused tension between Turkey, the United States and other western countries.
Last week, Prime Minister Imran Khan had conveyed Pakistan’s full support and solidarity with Turkey in its efforts for enhanced security and regional stability.
He had expressed the sentiments during a telephone call that he made to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan regarding the recent developments.
The prime minister told him that Pakistan fully understands Turkey’s concerns relating to terrorism, the Radio Pakistan reported.
Imran Khan said as a country which has lost more than 70,000 lives due to terrorism and borne the burden of more than three million refugees for decades, Pakistan is fully cognizant of the threats and challenges being faced by Turkey having lost 40,000 of its people to terrorism.
Imran Khan added that the government and people of Pakistan are looking forward to accord a warm welcome to President Erdogan on his forthcoming visit to Pakistan later this month.
- India bans Muslim gatherings but allows Hindu pilgrimage in occupied ...11:45 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 233,000 cases of coronavirus – 4,819 confirmed ...11:21 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Money laundering case – Shehbaz Sharif seeks exemption from ...11:15 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- China, India hold talks on border standoff11:05 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Umar Akmal’s appeal to be heard on July 13: PCB10:53 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Elton John honoured with his own commemorative coin from Uk's Royal ...04:46 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- TikTok star Zulqarnain Sikandar all set to make his acting debut with ...02:45 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Saroj Khan's family lived in Pakistan before the partition02:16 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020