Bangladesh cricketer Shahadat’s wife held over maid torture
The 29-year-old paceman was suspended last month when police raided his house after officers found the injured and crying maid on a street in the capital Dhaka.
He and his wife Nritto Shahadat had been on the run since.
“Nritto Shahadat was arrested from her parents’ house,” inspector Shafiqur Rahman told AFP.
“We conducted a raid at the house as we had information that the couple was hiding there. But we only found her,” he said, adding police were still hunting for Hossain.
The maid, Mahfuza Akter Happy, told police and local media in September that the couple beat her, while television footage showed her looking frail and thin with swollen black eyes.
Police had found her hand charred with a hot cooking paddle and injury marks all over her body.
A case has been filed against Shahadat and his wife, who could face charges of child repression and employing a minor.
Shahadat played 38 Tests and 51 one-day internationals for Bangladesh.
- Pakistan’s Arshad Nadeem wins javelin gold with career best throw ...11:06 PM | 8 Aug, 2022
- British investigators launch probe into 'misuse' of charity funds by ...10:24 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan slams Indian ludicrous comments against OIC’s remarks on ...09:28 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Interior Minister says ‘performers giving Islamic touch now in need ...08:51 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Sakina Samo's directorial debut to hit cinemas later this month03:51 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Natasha Ali Lakhani’s new bold photos break the internet03:28 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani stars celebrate Eidul-Adha in style06:20 PM | 10 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022