Pakistan Army supports investigation into Gul Bukhari’s 'abduction': ISPR
The Director General of Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), Major General Asif Ghafoor told a group of reporters early Saturday that the army had no role in the incident and that the incident must be investigated.
“We have nothing to do with it. I think this incident should be investigated thoroughly,” Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Director General Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor said.
Pakistani journalist Asad Kharal beaten up near ... 02:12 AM | 6 Jun, 2018
LAHORE – Two Pakistani journalists came under attack late on Tuesday by unidentified men in the capital city of ...
Ghafoor said he had checked with every intelligence agency working for the army whether Bukhari had been detained by them shortly after the abduction was reported.
Unidentified men abducted Gul Bukhari, a dual Pakistani-British national, from Lahore's cantonment area on June 5 when was on her way to appear in a TV show. She returned home after few hours.
Bukhari’s abduction had evoked strong criticism on social media and calls were made for investigation into the incident.
After her release, Bukhari, herself the daughter of a late army general, said on Twitter that she was well and asked for privacy.
I would like to express my deep gratitude and love to my friends, family, colleagues & supporters in civil society, journalism and politics across the board, for coming together in solidarity out of concern for my well being last night.— Gul Bukhari (@GulBukhari) June 6, 2018
Bukhari, known for her critical views against non-democratic forces, is a contributing writer at The Nation newspaper.
In its Press Freedom Index 2018, media freedom watchdog, Reporters Without Borders ranked Pakistan at 139 among 180 countries, showing no improvement in comparison to 2017.
- Pakistan cricket team off to UAE for T20 World Cup01:15 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran Khan launches ‘Kisan Portal’ to fix farmers’ problems12:52 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Babar Azam birthday: Wishes pour in on social media12:00 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Turkey calls on world to unfreeze Afghanistan's foreign accounts11:28 AM | 15 Oct, 2021
- 'Aik Hai Nigar' – ISPR’s telefilm featuring Mahira Khan to ...08:16 PM | 14 Oct, 2021
- Ajay Devgn shares heartwarming story about Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan06:04 PM | 14 Oct, 2021
- Imran Ashraf aka 'Bhola' showcases his versatility in recent viral ...05:30 PM | 14 Oct, 2021