Naqeebullah killing: Police raid house of SSP Rao Anwar

09:26 AM | 22 Jan, 2018
Naqeebullah killing: Police raid house of SSP Rao Anwar
KARACHI - Police on Monday raided the house of Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Rao Anwar, allegedly involved in the extra-judicial killing of a South Waziristan youth, Naqeebullah Mehsud in Karachi.

The raiding party has arrested two police officers, present at Anwar's house, while the former SSP Malir was not present at that time, reported local media.

Police are currently interrogating the arrested persons, one of which is considered a close aide of the SSP.

The raid comes after Rao Anwar on Sunday refused to appear before a three-member investigation committee after DIG Sultan Khawaja, who is heading the team, asked him to appear at the DIG East's office at 11 pm. The team has again summoned the SSP today at 11 am for further probe.

A jirga of Mehsud tribe was also called in Karachi, where participants decided to register a case against the former SSP Malir. The jirga also decided that the case will be registered by the aggrieved family. However, the family of Naqeebullah is on his way to Karachi.

Meanwhile, Sindh Police IG AD Khawaja refused reports regarding conducting raid at Anwar's residence.

Removal from Post

On Jan 20, Rao Anwar was removed from the post after a three-member investigation committee submitted an interim report on the killing of 27-year-old Naqeebullah in a 'staged encounter'.

Inspector General Sindh AD Khawaja transferred Anwar, adding that further action against him will be taken after the completion of the inquiry. However, Adeel Chandio has been appointed as SSP Malir.

According to the notification, "Mr Anwar Ahmed Khan, an officer of Sindh Police (BS-18). Senior Superintendent of Police, District Malir, Karachi Range, is transferred and directed to report to CPO Sindh, Karachi with immediate effect and until further orders."

The decision to remove him came after probe body head AIG Sanaullah Abbasi said that interim report regarding the case was sent to Sindh police after proper investigation.

Media reports suggest that the investigation team declared Mehsud innocent, refusing the allegations levelled by Rao Anwar. The team, in the report, said that no evidence found that showed links between the deceased and terror outfits.

It is learnt that the committee has asked the authorities to register a case against the SSP, known as an "encounter specialist" and other team members involved in the extrajudicial killing. The team also suggested that Rao Anwar's name should be put on Exit Control List (ECL).

Suo Moto Notice

On Friday, Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Justice Mian Saqib Nisar took a suo motu notice over the ‘encounter’ of Naqeebullah Mehsud and summoned a report from the Sindh police chief in seven days.


On January 12, a police encounter took place in Shah Latif Town of Karachi under the supervision of Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Malir Rao Anwar. During this shoot-out, four alleged members of banned outfit Tahreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were killed. Amongst these four alleged terrorists was 27-years-old Naseemullah, alias Naqeeb Mehsud.

Ever since his killing, disputed claims have emerged from his family that Naqeeb was abducted on 3rd January and his killing is extrajudicial. These claims have caused a social media uproar.

After the social media uproar against the ‘extrajudicial encounter’ of Naqeeb, Chairman PPP Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has ordered an inquiry into the case as more details pointing towards mysterious circumstances emerge.

Upon Bilawal’s direction, Sindh’s Home Miniter Sohail Anwar Siyal has appointed DIG Police South Zone, Karachi, to conduct an inquiry into the matter and to submit findings within 15 days.