Zinedine Zidane quits as Real Madrid manager after record breaking Champion League win
Zidane announced his decision in Madrid on Thursday morning. Sat alongside Real president Florentino Perez, the World Cup winner said he felt he had taken the club as far as he could.
“I have taken the decision to not continue into the next season,” said Zidane. “For me and for everybody, I think the moment to change has arrived. It was not an easy decision.”
“This is my decision,” he continued, having admitted he had previously planned to sign a new contract. “Maybe it’s a mistake. But I feel it’s time. If I don’t think that we can keep winning then it’s time. How can I ask more from the players? Big players need a change.
“If I was the manager here next season, it would have been tough for us to win trophies. You saw in the Copa [Del Rey] this season and I can’t forget our domestic campaign that easily.”
The now former Real Madrid head coach became the first manager in history to win the competition three times in a row when they beat Liverpool 3-1 in Saturday's final.
The World Cup-winning footballer told a news conference he felt it was the right time to leave the club, having never been knocked out of Europe's top competition during three years in charge.
In his first job in senior club management, Zidane won nine major honours, with the 45-year-old's crowning glory coming in Kiev when he joined an elite group of managers to win the European Cup three times as coach. The others are Bob Paisley (Liverpool) and Carlo Ancelotti (AC Milan and Real Madrid).
After retiring from a glittering football career with Real, Juventus and Bordeaux in 2006, Zidane took over the Real Madrid B team in 2014, before replacing Rafael Benitez as first team coach in January 2016.
Zinedine Zidane appointed Real Madrid coach 03:13 PM | 5 Jan, 2016
MADRID (Web Desk) - Real Madrid have sacked coach Rafa Benitez after less than half a season in charge and promoted ...
He claimed the first of his hat-trick of European triumphs two years ago when Real defeated local rivals Atletico Madrid on penalties in the final. A year later he led Real to their first European Cup and La Liga double in 59 years.
Real finished three points ahead of Barcelona as they won their first league title since 2012 before crushing Juventus 4-1 in the Champions League final to become the first side to win the competition in its current format in back-to-back seasons.
- Pakistan joins Digital Cooperation Organisation as founding member11:58 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- COVID-19 — Pakistan bans in-flight meal service on domestic flights11:39 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Maryam Nawaz 'was given rat-contaminated food in Kot Lakhpat Jail'10:46 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- BISE Lahore announces Inter Part-2 Exam Result – Here's how to check10:26 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Urwa Hocane's father responds to 'separation' with Farhan Saeed07:25 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Nabeel Zuberi takes lead role in Aulaad05:29 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Mehwish Hayat surprised by secret admirer (VIDEO)05:21 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020