Smog crisis: Punjab govt tweets to Amarinder Singh urging ban on stubble burning
Large parts of north India and adjoining districts of Pakistan have been enveloped by a thick haze for more than a week. The haze is toxic and medical experts have urged people to limit their exposure to outdoors, an unprecedented crisis that also saw fatal road accidents and flight and train delays due to lack of visibility.
We have imposed a ban on stubble burning in Punjab (Pakistan) & hope @capt_amarinder takes similar measures. Some of our medium/long term action plan to combat SMOG are: https://t.co/xmA4fP3lz8— Punjab 2013-18 (@Punjab13to18) November 8, 2017
Environmental hazards threaten our people and habitat. Let us act fast to counter it. https://t.co/QMEnhH89ZS
“We have imposed a ban on stubble burning in Punjab (Pakistan) & hope @capt_amarinder takes similar measures. Some of our medium/long term action plan to combat SMOG are: https://punjab.gov.pk/node/2648 Environmental hazards threaten our people and habitat. Let us act fast to counter it,” said the Wednesday evening tweet from @GovtofPunjab, the verified twitter account of the Pakistan state, tagging Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh.
The post quoted a tweet from Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who too has urged action from Singh’s state and neighbouring Haryana.
Amarinder Singh has maintained that his state cannot handle the 200 million ton of paddy straw generated by farmers, who burn the remnants before sowing new crops in November.
A day after the tweets, Kejriwal wrote to the chief ministers of Punjab and Haryana requesting a meeting to find the solution to the crop burning.
But Amarinder rejected the meeting saying that only the Union government can find a solution by giving financial help to farmers to handle the residue.
- Justice Qazi Faez Isa to hear contempt case against Fawad Chaudhry on ...10:36 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan cricket squad leaves for Zimbabwe after successful South ...10:05 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Babar Azam’s ‘late glance’ shot is new sensation on social ...08:09 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas releases his rendition of Qaseedah Burdah Shareef05:59 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Mustafa Jaane Rehmat – Atif Aslam's naat crosses 1.6 million views ...05:48 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Hira and Mani celebrate 13th wedding anniversary05:41 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021