Smog crisis: Punjab govt tweets to Amarinder Singh urging ban on stubble burning
Large parts of north India and adjoining districts of Pakistan have been enveloped by a thick haze for more than a week. The haze is toxic and medical experts have urged people to limit their exposure to outdoors, an unprecedented crisis that also saw fatal road accidents and flight and train delays due to lack of visibility.
We have imposed a ban on stubble burning in Punjab (Pakistan) & hope @capt_amarinder takes similar measures. Some of our medium/long term action plan to combat SMOG are: https://t.co/xmA4fP3lz8— Punjab 2013-18 (@Punjab13to18) November 8, 2017
Environmental hazards threaten our people and habitat. Let us act fast to counter it. https://t.co/QMEnhH89ZS
“We have imposed a ban on stubble burning in Punjab (Pakistan) & hope @capt_amarinder takes similar measures. Some of our medium/long term action plan to combat SMOG are: https://punjab.gov.pk/node/2648 Environmental hazards threaten our people and habitat. Let us act fast to counter it,” said the Wednesday evening tweet from @GovtofPunjab, the verified twitter account of the Pakistan state, tagging Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh.
The post quoted a tweet from Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who too has urged action from Singh’s state and neighbouring Haryana.
Amarinder Singh has maintained that his state cannot handle the 200 million ton of paddy straw generated by farmers, who burn the remnants before sowing new crops in November.
A day after the tweets, Kejriwal wrote to the chief ministers of Punjab and Haryana requesting a meeting to find the solution to the crop burning.
But Amarinder rejected the meeting saying that only the Union government can find a solution by giving financial help to farmers to handle the residue.
- TECNO MOBILE to revolutionise Pakistani market in 2021 with 13 new ...09:11 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- PSL 2021, Match 10 – Peshawar Zalmi chase Islamabad United's ...08:59 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Snow leopard rescued after falling from cliff in Chitral08:29 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Saudi Arabia, Pakistan to promote cooperation in Customs, Tax fields08:00 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- 'Chaar Darkht' – Ali Gul Pir trolls India in #FantasticTeaDay video05:14 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Agha Ali advises Alizeh Shah to be more concerned about her acting ...03:45 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021