PIA's Islamabad-bound plane with 47 people on-board crashes near Havelian
According to a spokesperson for the Commissioner's office in Hazara Division, 42 bodies have been recovered from the plane's wreckage, which had scattered over several kilometres. The Inter-Services Public Relations said around 500 army personnel were taking part in the operation to recover the bodies and any survivors, but witnesses on the crash site said there were unlikely to be any survivors.
Thick cloud of smoke was also seen billowing from the area, according to eyewitnesses.
The passengers included 31 men, nine women, two infants, and at least three foreigners.
A PIA official issued a statement in Twitter that the aircraft lost its contact with the Control Tower:
— Danyal Gilani (@Danyal_Gilani) December 7, 2016
Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif and Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan have directed the concerned federal departments to immediately initiate rescue efforts and help provincial government, Press Information Department said.
Civil and military rescue teams have been dispatched to the mountainous region to find the whereabouts of the aircraft which was being flown by Captain Saleh Janjua and co-pilot Ahmed Janjua. The pilots gave a Mayday call before disappearing.
Investigations are continuing into the cause of the accident but a recording suggests engine failure as the reason behind the crash.
PIA's emergency response center can be contacted at 0092-21-99044890, 0092-21-99044376 and 0092-21-99044394.
- Man arrested for running fake Twitter account in Syra Yousuf's name11:40 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Hania Aamir leaves fans impressed as she sings 'Kesariya'10:59 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Kim Kardashian pays $1.26 million to settle SEC crypto charge09:34 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Ali Zafar releases new Punjabi song08:57 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- US cipher is a reality, says PTI05:20 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022