Put all PIA's ex-managing directors on ECL, orders top court
Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, who is heading a three-member bench, issued the orders while hearing a case concerning the proposed privatisation of the national carrier and audit. Some of the former bosses of the airline were present in the court.
PML-N govt aims to sell PIA before general ... 09:24 PM | 14 Jan, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The PML-N govt will try to privatise its national airline before general elections due this year, ...
Lamenting over the condition of the national flag carrier, the chief justice remarked that the PIA was ruined, besides terming the people who were part of the national assets' destruction as cruel and traitors.
During the hearing, the CJP remarked that a commission is being formed to probe the matters regarding losses incurred by the PIA and its alleged privatisation.
Chief Justice Nisar also ordered the production of the MDs in whose tenure the national carried faced most losses.
He also informed that the PIA suffered a loss of Rs44 billion in 2013, Rs37 billion in 2014, Rs32 billion in 2015, Rs45 billion in 2016 and Rs44 billion in 2017.
The lawyer further said that government of Pakistan has 96 percent stakes in the national carrier, adding that it has been functioning as a public entity since April 2016.
The board of governors of the company comprises 11 members, he said, adding that most of the members have been appointed by the government.
"Aviation secretary is the chairman and member of the board. Irfan Illahi is the elected member of the board and secretary E&D is also a member of the board," Dawn News quoted the counsel as saying.
He highlighted that the PIA did not take benefit from reduced petroleum prices while the other airlines availed the opportunity.
The apex court also sought a reply from the federal government on the privatisation of the airline and summoned the attorney general.
At the last hearing on Apr 6, the top court ordered all MDs of the PIA, who have served in the past ten years to appear before the court.
The CJP had also sought audited statements of accounts from the incumbent managing director.
The court had also taken notice of profitable routes allegedly being taken away from PIA and being given to private carriers, especially Air Blue.
It had also barred the authorities from fresh hiring in PIA until further orders.
- PM Imran's Banigala house lit up ahead of Eid Milad-un-Nabi01:43 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- NADRA voids policy requiring women to change surname after marriage01:06 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Audio call of Ayesha-Rambo exposes ‘plan to visit ...12:28 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Pakistan receives another batch of 2.4mn Pfizer vaccine doses from US11:56 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Apple removes Quran app in China at 'request of govt officials'11:27 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Saba Qamar drops the first look from upcoming project 'Serial Killer'04:47 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat expresses love for Jennifer Lopez04:20 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Alizeh Shah's gorgeous bridal shoot wins hearts03:27 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021
- Celebrities who are gifted athletes05:57 PM | 5 Sep, 2021